Can I get my nipples pierced after getting a nipple inversion surgery?

I've just gotten a bilateral nipple inversion correction surgery done and was wondering if I could ever get my nipples pierced? If so, how long would I have to wait before I can do it?

Nipple Piercing Post Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry. Typically i advise my patients to have their nipple pierced 3 weeks post surgery. This amount of time will vary depending on the type of incision used. Best to wait until the breasts/nipples heal completely. ALWAYS discuss with your surgeon.

Nipple Piercing After Inverted Nipple Repair

Did you know that nipple piercing was the first way to treat inverted nipples? It should be fine to have your nipples pierced, but only after you have healed. 

You do not list when your procedure was done, or which technique was used. The best thing to do is to check with your plastic surgeon, and be certain there are no contraindications and to be sure you are adequately healed for a second procedure. If you just had surgery, you are at higher risk for increased scar formation. Textbooks recommend waiting as long as a year, but your plastic surgeon has more information on which to base their recommendation.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon