12 vials of Sculptra in 2.5 years and no results? 51 years old (Photos)

I have been receiving regular sculptura treatments for 2.5 years (12 vials) with no results. I have been to three different doctors for treatment, and they can't figure out why it doesn't take. Does it not work on some people? I have a very thin face. Results show for a couple of days and then nothing. I also don't respond to fillers such as juvedeem and restalyne. What else can I try? I did try bellafill on my marionette lines, but it migrated beside the lime making the wrinkle look deeper. Any ideas?

Facial Sculpting with Sculptra, Fat, Fillers

In some sculptra works better than others.  You may need other fillers or fat injections if you are looking for more extreme volumization.  Best, Dr. Emer.

No response following 12 vials of Sculptra

Dear bren305:

Thank you for sharing your photos. I too find a variation in Sculptra results but have seen some skin firming, tightening and increased resistance to wrinkling in all patients thus indicating a normal but varied inflammatory response creating collagen and other structural dermal molecules. 

Dr. Weiner’s answer below is excellent and deserves to be mentioned again. “Sculptra (and Bellafill) require the body to respond to the PLLA (PMMA) and create collagen. If you are taking medication that inhibits the inflammatory response - steroids, Humira, anti-inflammatories, you can't create collagen. If your body is in a negative metabolic state from illness, weight loss, you also won't create collagen. If you are a smoker, your collagen response will be muted. Also, there is no reason that you should not show a response from HA fillers. HA fillers don't depend on your body to create collagen. Improving NLF and marionette lines might require more than just fillers. PDO threads, RF (Infini), surgery might be needed to get to your goals.”

Other thoughts come to mind as well and should be discussed with your injector or a second opinion Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist with extensive experience with such injectables.

1. ·         At what layer of the facial skin tissues was the Sculptra (and other fillers) placed?
  2. ·         When and with what diluents was the Sculptra mixed?
  3. ·         What were / are your expected goals and desires?

Since this is such an unusual response, please respond if you find an answer to your dilemma. Thank you. I wish you well.

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Sculptra isn't working for me

Sculptra (and Bellafill) require the body to respond to the PLLA (PMMA) and create collagen. If you are taking medication that inhibits the inflammatory response - steroids, Humira, anti-inflammatories, you can't create collagen. If you body is in a negative metabolic state from illness, weight loss, you also won't create collagen. If you are a smoker, your collagen response will be muted. Also, there is no reason that you should not show a response from HA fillers. HA fillers don't depend on your body to create collagen. Improving NLF and marionette lines might require more than just fillers. PDO threads, RF (Infini), surgery might be needed to get to your goals.

Steven F. Weiner, MD