Would Sculptra be appropriate after weight loss?

I am in my 20s and losing weight. I started at 170lbs. I am now 150. My goal weight is 130. At my heaviest, my face wasn't very fat. I am now noticing smile lines and asymmetry. I think I have a naturally thin face. I think this will get worse as I lose more weight. I plan to give my skin a chance to tighten up for a year after I've reached a stable weight, but I would get filters if it isn't much better after that. I am interested in Sculptra as it is gradual and long lasting. Would this be appropriate?

Sculpture after weight loss

Hi Sea_Witch,

Thank you for this excellent question. Sculptra injections can offer an excellent means to restore volume to the face after weight loss with very natural appearing results. As you know, Sculptra is unique among the dermal fillers in that it slowly induces collagen formation / stimulation over time via micro-particles of poly-L-lactic acid in areas of fine-lines and volume loss. On average, a series of a few injections are required over a several month period (depending on the person).  Once volume is restored, a person typically needs maintenance injections every year or so. In my experience, Sculptra lends itself quite well to patients who are in-shape athletes who have noted facial volume loss.  I hope you find this helpful!

Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra after Weight Loss

Sculptra is a great product to add volume after weight loss. Sculptra works to correct shallow to deep facial wrinkles and folds. Also, it helps to replace lost collagen. The results can last up to 2 years. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Thank you for sharing your excellent question and congratulations on your weight loss.  Sculptra is an excellent way of gradually adding volume and contour to areas of a patient's face lost due to age or weight loss.  Sculptra stimulates your body's own mechanism of collagen formation to leave you with a noticeable, natural improvement.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to maximize your results.  

Sculptra After Weight Loss

Sculptra is a great product to re-build some volume after weight loss, so long as your weight is stable. You are correct that Sculptra works gradually over a series of treatments and works to replace lost collagen. It’s used primarily to treat deep folds between the nose and the mouth (also called “smile lines”), and the hollowness of the cheeks and results can last for more than two years. This is definitely the product of choice for significant volume loss as other fillers will not work as naturally or last anywhere near that length of time. When you are ready, I recommend seeing a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive Sculptra experience so that you can achieve your desired result.

Dennis Gross, MD

Sculptra is a good choice for volume but...

Sculptra needs your body to create collagen. If you are in a negative metabolic state, such as when you are losing a lot of weight, I don't think that your response to it will be vigorous. This applies to any of the collagen stimulating fillers. If your weight is stable, and you are healthy, Sculptra is a great treatment for you.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Sculptra After Weight Loss

Sculptra would be the idea produce to provide back volume after weight loss.  I have many patients who have thin faces and Sculptra provides the best way to produce new collagen in a gentle natural looking manner. Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is an expert in Sculptra for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

Maybe or the Silhouette Insta Lift (sculpture cones on dissolvable threads) or Nova Lift (PDO threads). Bt only in person examinations allow that determination.

Sculptra after weight loss

Sculptra can be used to add volume to the face and does normally require a series of treatments to produce gradual results.  From your written description, it sounds as though Sculptra may be a good option for you after your weight loss, but an examination or photographs of you would be needed to determine if you might be a good candidate for the treatment.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon