Why didn't Sculptra work? (Photos)

I have had two sets of injections with the last set seven weeks ago.Their has been no change in the trough lines and wrinkles. As you can clearly see from the pictures,I now have red blotches and what looks like puffiness below my eyes is hard.What do I need to do to get rid of these problems ?

Sculptra results not what I wanted.

I don't think the injections were done appropriately for you problem. If the bags around the eyes weren't there before, this becomes a difficult problem to fix. I would see a different provider, one that has used Sculptra for a long time. This can possibly be corrected with 5FU and Kenalog. Sculptra is not meant to be used to correct problems around the eyes. HA fillers are best for this area. I'm not sure that filler was the appropriate treatment either. A pre photo is really needed to give the best advice.

Why didn't Sculptra work?

It is unclear where the Sculptra was injected. Sculptra works by correcting shallow to deep facial wrinkles and folds. It also helps to replace lost collagen. Sculptra is great to use to add volume to the temples, cheeks and jaw lines. Sculptra is not indicated for use in the tear troughs. I recommend having this evaluated by an expert injector. 

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Why Didn't Sculpra Work?

It is very hard to comment without understanding the goals of your treatment.  Sculptra is not and should not be used to fill tear troughs, but is instead a facial volumizer.  Based on the photos shown, you would probably have been better considering a surgical approach (lower lid blepharoplasty) for the upper third of your face. If Sculptra is used for the wrong purpose or in a situation where another treatment would be preferable, the outcome is not likely to be satisfying. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Does Sculptra sometimes not work?

Sculptra injectable works by stimulating one’s innate soft tissue to produce collagen over a period of weeks and months.  It is a technical procedure and must be precisely injected at the proper level and proper amounts and care is taken to stay away from certain parts of the face where problems are more likely to occur. But even when performed expertly, the effects are not the same in everyone. Some patients received an excellent response with just a few sessions. There are some who don’t seem to respond as well, sometimes due to immunologic conditions as an example. 

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why didnt Sculptra work?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Sculptra is designed to help stimulate the body's development of collagen and has a delayed onset compared to hyaluronic acid based fillers.  Sculptra is excellent at restoring volume in the temples, cheeks, and jaw lines but it is not indicated for use in the area around the eyes.  I would voice your concerns to your injector and assess your results by examining your "before" pictures.  Your injector should then be able to provide you with treatment plans or reassurance.

Sculptra Effectiveness

It is difficult to tell from the photos where it was injected (if anywhere) besides under the eyes as you mentioned it was. Unfortunately, Sculptra is not a product that should ever be used to treat the tear troughs and that fact that it was makes me question the knowledge of the person who injected you. If you had Sculptra in the hollows of the cheeks or smile lines for example, I would tell you that it will not necessarily be an obvious change after two treatments and sometimes just takes more, as it is a filler that works very gradually. I would advise that you see a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with extensive Sculptra and other filler experience who can help correct any problems and continue your treatment in the safest, most effective way.

Dennis Gross, MD

Sculptra results

Hello! Sculptra injections are less predictable than other injectables such as Voluma with regards to how many will be required to see a change. Honestly, your lower face is quite ptotic/droopy and you would best benefit from a lift of some sort, which would reposition quite a bit of volume into the midface region. Over time that may be more cost effective for you. I would recommend talking with another injector (preferable a facial plastic surgeon) who can discuss in more depth your options. I seldom use Sculptra anymore as Voluma gives instant results and often is less expensive for patients seeking long lasting midface volume. Good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra and lack of results

It is not clear to me where in the face you had Sculptra injected.  It is definitely not meant for the area under the eyes especially when you have so much skin laxity.  Please consult an expert in Sculptra to evaluate.  Best, Dr. Green