Facelift and masseter muscle?

Hi doctors, During a facelift, is it possible to reduce the masseter muscle as well to reduce the bulk? Thank you

Best way to reduce a thick masseter muscle (at the angle of the jaw) is with #Botox, not with #facelift surgery

Muscle reduction is not a common proedure in North America.  That being said, it is a more common procedure in some parts of Asia (masseter, calf, etc.)

In Canada, we prefer to use Botox - it is safe and efficient and reversible.  I inject 20-30 units per side.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Dr. Marc DuPere, Toronto Aesthetic Plastic Surgeon

Masseter reduction with a facelift

Botulinum or Xeomin injection into the prominenet masseter is so safe and effective that I would not consider surgical reduction at the time of a facelift for my patients.  Even with the use of fibrin glue there is a small risk of hematoma (blood collection) with a facelift and adding to that risk by undergoing a bloody muscle resection is simply too risky.
Make sure to discuss your issues with your board certified plastic surgeon so that you achieve a natural looking result yet a long lasting one without altering your hairline or sideburns if you do undergo a facelift.  Enjoy the video above for more detailed information and best wishes for beautiful results.

Jon A Perlman M.D. FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Masseter muscle reduction

I agree with Dr. Darrow.

Reducing the bulk of your master is rather bloody and does increase the time of swelling and the morbidity of a face lift.

Botox to the master works great and is a lot easier, less risky, and has less bruising and swelling.  Approximately 25 units per side.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter muscle reduction

Although treatment of  masseteric hypertrophy with botox requires periodic retreatment it is very effective. I have personally used it  in patients following face lift as well as patients simply unhappy with their facial shape.   I would not recommend surgical reduction of the masseter muscle.

Masseter muscle

I have to agree, the best way is with botox. It is dangerous and bloody to try and do it surgically.

all the best

Botox is not an instant or permanent fix, but it is very safe and can be highly effective.

While it is technically possible to reduce the masseter muscles surgically, it is a rare and potentially dangerous procedure. I’d recommend trying Botox to reduce the masseters before undergoing surgery for them. Botox is not an instant or permanent fix, but it is very safe and can be highly effective in the right candidate. It works by paralyzing the muscles, which causes atrophy and reduces the size of the muscles. Many patients are very happy with the results of Botox for slimming the jawline. I hope this helps.

How to reduce masseter muscle

As an experienced facial plastic surgeon and a rejuvenation specialist, I would say that a surgical reduction of the masseter is not my preferred method.  Rather, the most efficient way to reduce the masseter muscle is with botulinum toxin-A (btx-A), which comes as Xeomin, Dysport or Botox.  This can be done in the office without much downside.

Sam Most, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter Muscle Question

Thank you for your question.  Yes, the massester muscle, which lies on each side of the jaw bone can be prominent and add some width to the face.  This can be cosmetically displeasing for some.  I do not advocate reduction of the masseter muscle surgically.  However, a neuromodulator injection such as Botox or Dysport is an excellent way to reduce the size of these muscles.  Be sure to consult with a board certified facial plastic or general plastic surgeon, who specializes in facial rejuvenation procedures.  

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter muscle

No, it is not possible. But botox can be used to decrease the thickness of the muscle and improve the shape of  the face.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Masseter muscle reduction with a face lift

Thank you for asking about your face lift and masseter muscle reduction.

• You would need an examination to know if masseter reduction is indicated.
  • Permanent reduction of any normally functioning muscle is usually not a good idea -
  • Botox given regularly can achieve the same effect, at less cost and greater safety.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes