Age 37 male. Is 800 grafts will be enough to add density ? (photos)

Hi am 37 years old I have thin hair since I was 20 ,is 800 grafts enough for good results? I don't want to lower my hairline just to add density and design it a little better . Is my existing hair will be damaged from the procedure and is there enough space to put the graft in between my natural hair ?is it better to do this in 1 procedure ? I apologize this is not 1 question but i need your advice..in my pictures you will see and understand better what I am looking for thank you !

Is 800 grafts enough for this gentleman? The answer is no.

Dear Zefoha33,

Thank you for your question. 800 grafts is way too low for that area; I’d say about 1,600-1,800. Due to vascular limitations there is a limit to how many grafts may be placed into any particular area. Hair restoration is an interesting specialty in that zero training is required to call yourself a “hair transplant surgeon” other than medical school and 1 or 2 years of general medical work afterwards. The overwhelming majority of hair restoration surgeons actually have zero surgical training. I’m a board certified facial plastic surgeon, and I can tell you in 7 years of post-medical school surgery training I saw zero hair restoration procedures. Look for a physician with years of dedication solely to the field of hair restoration surgery. A surgeon who performs many different types of surgery and has somewhat recently (eg: less than 2 years) acquired a NeoGraft machine or similar device is not an expert in hair restoration surgery.  Quite the opposite, I find that many cosmetic surgeons are jumping into the field with promises of big money from performing hair restoration. 

There are hundreds of subtleties and nuances in hair restoration surgery, very few of which can be understood by purchasing a device to perform follicular unit extraction (FUE). The main group for the most accomplished and successful hair restoration surgeons is the International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgeons. With this group, each physician is vetted by the organization individually with office visits and a thorough review of the physician and practice. There are about 70 physicians that have been admitted to this prestigious group in the USA. At a minimum your hair restoration surgeon should belong to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, which is an educational group for physicians serious about the specialty of hair restoration surgery. There are 297 physicians in the USA who are members. Any physician may apply and gain admittance, and the yearly dues are minimal, so if your doctor is a member of neither, it’s safe to assume he or she is not as serious about hair restoration surgery as he or she could be. With something as permanent as a hair restoration, it’s on the patient to do the research and find a competent, ethical physician to perform their hair restoration procedure.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Kind Regards,

Ken Anderson, MD

Anderson Center for Hair

Atlanta, Georgia, USA

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Are 800 grafts enough?

Based upon the photos that you included with your question, I think that 800 grafts would be a little light to provide you with the density that I believe you are expecting and hoping for.  With that said, 800 grafts may help to provide a little more density, but if you are looking for fullness I believe you would need many more grafts than that (at least double that amount).  

With good surgical technique and expertise, I don't expect that there will be any damage to your existing hair follicles.  Shock loss, although temporary, can occur and I like to inform patients pre-operatively that somewhere between 1/3 - 2/3 of the hairs transplanted can undergo a shedding phase.  Furthermore, full growth following a hair transplant procedure can take 9-12 months.  

If you are seriously considering a hair transplant procedure, I would recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in the various hair restoration techniques.  When done properly and on good candidates, hair transplant satisfaction rates are exceedingly high and in my experience have been one of the most rewarding procedures I can offer patients.  I hope you find this helpful and I wish you the best of luck.

Good density

I wouldn't think that 800 grafts would be enough to get you any kind of density at all. I would personally suggest a minimum of 1500 grafts. 2000-2500 grafts would be ideal though to restructure your hairline and give it good density. 

Shock loss can occur at times but it is not common so you shouldn't see any hair loss caused by the procedure itself. There is definitely space to transplant the follicles in and around your existing hair. 

I would suggest doing this in 2 sessions with a maximum of 2500 grafts to start. You can then reassess after 6 months or so to see if you feel the need to add more hair to any area. Also anything over 2500 grafts is what is called a mega session and can start to decrease the take rate of the transplanted hairs so I just prefer to not do more then 2500 grafts at a time, so we don't waste those precious babies that we are transplanting. 

Asking questions is necessary to make sure that you find the right hair transplant surgeon for you. 

Hair Transplant can be one of the most rewarding procedures for both men and women. The procedure from start to finish is not simply a financial investment in yourself, but also an investment in time. Full cycle growth from the initial hair transplant procedure to fullness of growth takes 9 months to 1 year, so choosing a hair restoration specialist the first time around is absolutely essential, otherwise your journey to thicker and fuller hair could take more than a few years.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

800 grafts not enough

From what I can see from the photos you provided, you need a transplant on your front, mid and vertex areas. 800 grafts is not a sufficient number of grafts to achieve  satisfactory results.  I recommed a professional consultation with an experienced for an accurate surgical plan and estimate of the grafts necessary considering your calculated density, density, hair caliber and number of hairs per follicle

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is 800 Grafts Enough?

That area deserves about 1500-2000 grafts.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong in doing 800 grafts. You will lack density, but you may still get an improvement. Grafts are going nowhere unless they are wasted, so doing less grafts than needed does no harm.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

You need to see a doctor for an examination and discuss your expectations with the doctor. 800 graft will not

You need to see a doctor for an examination and discuss your expectations with the doctor.  800 graft will not likely give you density especially when you continue to lose hair.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is 800 grafts enough

From what I see, 800 grafts is a bit light. I would put about 1300-1500 grafts into that sized balding area

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Consults

I would consider getting a few in person consults with established hair clinics.  This would be a good way to get more details and options in a case like this.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Age 37 male. Is 800 grafts will be enough to add density ?

Greetings 

Loss of hair is a natural process when it is between the limits that the body can restore them. When the capacity of the body to restore the hair loss is beaten by the excessive hair loss then we can name this situation something that should be treated. Women started to experience balding even more in the last 2 decades. It is getting more and more common also in women population. However it is also good to know that this problem is also treatable when it is present in women.

To obtain alive hair follicles implanted in higher rates, the latest technique being used is not the only manner, it is also affected by compliance of implantation area that we found a better way to improve as a result of our researches, The Organic Hair Transplantation. By this new and unique Organic Hair Transplantation Technique, before the extraction and implantation processes; we regenerate the implantation area with injection of stem cell enriched fat tissue. Regeneration of cells in target area before FUE transplantation with the support of stromal stem cells results in higher rate of alive thicker hair follicles.

Organic Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that moves individual hair follicles from a part of the body called “donor site” to bald or balding part of the body known as the “recipient site”. Grafts containing hair follicles that are obtained from genetically resistant to balding area transplanted to the bald scalp by latest minimally invasive technique. One of the most important reasons of the hair loss is the decreased quality of the scalp. Therefore to make the only transplantation would provide only a limited benefit without improving the quality of the scalp. In the “Organic Hair Transplantation”

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon