I don't want to shave the recipient area. Is this a big deal?

I have read some pros and cons on shaving the entire head. I don't mind shaving the sides but I would like to keep the hair on top. I have full thick hair and it would hide that I had a surgery.since I'm only sending is it worse to keep my hair? Would that be in the way?

If you don't want to shave your head, then discuss this with your doctor. It is between you and your doctor.

If you don't want to shave your head, then discuss this with your doctor.  It is between you and your doctor.  Some doctors require it some do not.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shaving your head

There is no need to have to shave the recipient site. The donor area would need to be shaved so we have actually partnered with a reputable barber shop  to do pre-op hair styles on all of our patients so that they can still look trendy before, during and after the hair transplant procedure. 

Your hair in the recipient area is still "in the way" as far as the ease of placing the transplant follicles. But any skilled hair transplant specialist will have no issue navigating around your hair if that is what you decide. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

When we do a hair transplant

When we do a hair transplant we never require shaving the recipient area and have learned to work with long hair all of the time

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Regarding shaving the recipient area before surgery?

atomlevin,

With many thousands of procedures performed, I have only shaved the recipient area twice on patient request. It may be a bit more challenging to perform but well worth the price since our patients are better able to go back to work or the world sooner and without detection.

Sincerely,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon