1 week after Rhinoplasty, have woken in middle night with severe bleeding, including passing clots in my mouth.Is this serious?

Will this affect my final result?

This is something you need to seek immediate and urgent attention for from your rhinoplasty surgeon

If you cannot get hold of them then have a family member take you to a local hospital emergency department for assessment - severe bleeding 1 week after a rhinoplasty can be significant and dangerous and if not stopping may require a return to surgery for packing to top the bleeding

1 week after rhinoplasty and bleeding

The nose has a rich blood supply, and bleeding post op may occur. Having said that though, a significant bleed will require the urgent attention of your surgeon. The blood clots in your mouth are due to the bleeding in the nose. Using nasal sprays to keep the nose moist may help reduce the incidence of bleeding. Avoid contact sports or putting things inside your nose will also help avoid bleeding.

If the bleeding persists, then it is best you see your surgeon urgently.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty and bleeding

Rhinoplasty is a surgery to change the shape of the nose for breathing or appearance.

The nose has a lot of blood vessels feeding it. This is good for healing, but there is a potential for nose bleeds after surgery. Small bleeding will stop on its own. Brisk bleeding needs the attention of your doctor. 

Humidifying the air and keeping the nose moisturized will prevent bleeding. I also ask my patients to avoid strenuous activity.  I recommend you get in touch with your surgeon immediately so they can help you manage the nose bleed and keep on your track for a safe and happy result.  Safety comes first.

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding post rhinoplasty

having clots in the back of your throat 1 week after surgery with "severe" bleeding is certainly outside of what is expected.  I suggest you contact your operating surgeon immediately and seek an evaluation as soon as you can.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleed in one week post surgery

Dear Alex,

I would consider this as medical and surgical emergency.

Even if the bleeding has stopped now it might start again and not stop as easily.

You should contact immediately you PS and find out what is the cause of the bleeding and what are the chances of this happening again.

With best regards,

Stefano Cotrufo, MD, PhD
London Plastic Surgeon

Contact your doctor

Bleeding after one week of surgery is not normal. Contact your PS and inform him.

Best Wishes

Bleeding one week after rhinoplasty

It is difficult to judge the amount of bleeding without examining you, but since you describe it as severe, I would recommend returning to your surgeon as soon as possible so you can be evaluated in person.  It is possible some treatment may be needed to stop any bleeding you are having a week after your rhinoplasty.  This could be a serious issue if the bleeding is not stopped.  If your surgeon is not able to see you now, I would go to an emergency room to be seen.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon