Did I ruin my nose with wearing glasses post op day 8? (photo)

I wore my glasses on the 8th day post op of a open rhino. I think it left a discoloration or indent on the right and left side of my upper nose. Is this temporary? Did I affect the outcome of my surgery?

Glasses after rhinoplasty

To answer your question, no, you probably didn't affect the outcome of your surgery. The indents are likely temporary within the swollen regions and will most likely resolve with time. Avoid any more direct contact with your glasses and tape them to your forehead if essential. Good luck!

Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Post Operative Rhinoplasty Concerns regarding Eye Glasses

Thanks for your post. Generally I recommend that patients avoid wearing eyeglasses or sunglasses directly on the nose for about 4-6 weeks to avoid any soft tissue issues which could affect the overall healing. I am glad you recognized the problem and stopped wearing your glasses while still swollen. Most of the time the small indents and color changes you see now will just be temporary. If you absolutely need your glasses consider wearing a suspension glasses holder or tape them to your forehead, which will avoid further contact with your nose. See your surgeon for additional post operative care instructions and follow all recommendations completely. Best wishes. 

Fred J. Bressler, MD, FACS
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovering from rhinoplasty and wearing glasses

Recovering from rhinoplasty is a healing process. Part of that process includes many instructions from your surgeon. Avoiding pressure on the healing nose is one of them. I ask my patients to use their glasses while they have a cast on their nose. After the cast comes off, I ask my patients to switch to contacts or use some tape to lift the glasses off of the nose. Brief periods with light glasses may be ok, but why risk it? Your surgeon can show you how to tape the glasses up off of your face. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon