High profile or moderate for my small frame? (Photo)

So I have decided to get breast implants. I'm a B and want to be a C. Haven't had a consultation yet but already booked my operation day as its in another country. I'm a really small petite woman. 5'2 height, my chest is about 14-15cm (measured basically from arm pit to arm pit over breast). I know I want round, silicon and under the muscle. I want to get moderate profile because I don't want to look too fake and up round. But I worry If I am too narrow and need high profile?

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation/ Breast Fat Transfer/ Cohesive Gel Implants / Silicone Implants / Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

What type and size of implants

Implant Profiles

Breast implants come in choices between saline and gel, shaped or round, as well as different profiles. These profiles describe the ratio of the width of the implant compared to its height. Breast implants in the 1970s were originally made with very wide base diameters but very flat in their projection. Over the last 7-10 years, breast implant manufacturers have made implants of various different ratios of width compared to projection. They range from flat, to not so flat, to taller, and super tall. All of these shapes of round implants can be useful in different patient requirements and anatomies. In general, the taller the profile, the more evident under the breast or muscle, that there is a round shaped object beneath the breast tissue. In patients in who the need is to push the breast tissue away from the chest wall, such as in loss of volume commonly seen after weight loss or pregnancy, these higher profile, or taller implants can be quite useful in taking up the space of the extra skin without causing a wider looking breast. This may allow the plastic surgeon to place this type of implant beneath the breast to take up the slack of the stretched out skin without the necessity of removing skin as in a breast lift. The flipside to the taller implants is that when there is little breast tissue overlying the implant, the transition from the chest wall to the breast can be quite abrupt. This can lead to the look of a very round object under the skin. While sometimes this is the desire of the patient, it may look to “done” or “fake” for others. The most modest of implant profiles is the flatter ones usually called moderate profile. In these breast implants, the transition of the shape from the chest wall to the breast and underlying implant is softer and less harsh and will therefore be less evident to the eye. Most of the time the two choices in the middle of the range are the ones most used. These include the moderate profile plus and high profile configurations. Some manufacturers may have a range of three choices will others may have four, but the concept of the ratios remains the same. The moderate plus and high in my practice are the ones more commonly used. The difference being the high profile is taller and less wide and the moderate plus is wider and less tall. There can be very compelling reasons to use each of these profiles. In patients who desire a larger appearance to the breasts than their natural base width of their natural breast will allow, the placement of a high profile implant may make the breast visually larger but still allow that size implant to fit in the space of the natural breast. In the patient with a wide chest wall sternum and a large space between the breasts, the placement of a wider implant such as moderate plus may fill in that space making it look more narrow. Because the change from the chest wall to the breast in a moderate profile implant is less abrupt, it may make the cleavage area look more natural and narrower. For the seasoned plastic surgeon practicing cosmetic breast surgery, all of the variables can be adjusted to give the patient the look they desire and minimize the chance for creating a look that my not be what the patient had intended. Because these small differences may be subtle but visible to the patient and physician, I have found the Vectra 3D imaging platform invaluable in showing prospective breast augmentation patients on a 3D image of their own body, what these different profile implants can produce as far as a post operative result. You can talk and try to describe what these differences are, but there is nothing like seeing them for yourself on a large screen. Using Vectra 3D imaging , I believe we can formulate a plan for the size, shape, and profile of the implant that will best match the patients desire for a result with their pre-operative condition. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

High profile implants?

The difference between high and moderate profile implants is not that great and I think it is perfectly reasonable to have round sub-muscular implants in your case. The most important step is for you to be properly measured so that the size can be determined based on what fits you, rather than a pre-conceived idea of what you want. I have found 3-D imaging invaluable in this regard but the very least your surgeon should do is accurately measure you and demonstrate what size will fit. I think this very difficult to do when you travel overseas and I would advise you to see a surgeon in you own area who can provide the full service, both in terms of assessment and planning, but also post-operative care.

James Murphy, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

High profile or moderate for my small frame?

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Patient's often regret decisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.
Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery for petite patients. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Implant profile

Hello
the decision about what profile you will have depends on your breast dimensions ( the implant needs to fit comfortably within) and the volume that you want to add, so that needs to be decided by your surgeon and you at the consultation

i agree with you that round sub muscular implants are what you need for a good natural result

good luck