I have gynecomastia. To hide it I have been using bandages to cover it . But the bandages has caused dark pigmentation. (photo)

I have gynecomastia I'm sure of it and utterly embarrassed. I am currently 18 years of age since about 15 years old I've been applying bandages to cover the lump/ my puffy nipples. Now i guess the mark of the bandage has sealed to my skin. Its a black pigmentation of the bandage mark. its doesn't come off and is shinny and dark. My stupidity to hid one flaw now gave me two flaws. Now i have gynecomastia and two really embarrassing and hurtful marks on my chest. Please what should I do?

About Gynecomastia and Options for Treatment

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia.
According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast #enlargement.
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.
The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

Thank you for the question and see a surgeon who is an expert in the field and have the gynecomastia excised.  It is a safe commonly performed operation with others with similar problems

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

I have gynecomastia. To hide it I have been using bandages to cover it . But the bandages has caused dark pigmentation.

Please refrain from the bandages. You may want to contact a hospital near you with a plastic surgery program and see if you may be eligible for an appt. in the clinic. There you will have a comprehensive exam and be evaluated for best options. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

What do I need to do help with my Gynecomastia and hyperpigmentation ?...

Gynecomastia affects many young men such as yourself.  There is a procedure that can remove the glandular tissue and flatten out the breast.  First stop using the adhesive bandages as the skin can react to them after a while. Use an ACE wrap instead.  Over time, use of a lightening cream can help the hyper pigmentation of the skin.  It would be best consult a board certified plastic surgeon to go over your options.

Pigmentation after bandaid use

Post-Inflammatory hyperpigmentation can occur with trauma to the skin.  Stop using the bandaids.  An ace wrap or compression vest will safely help prevent embarrassment as well as further hyperpigmentation.  Topical skin care may lighten the dark areas.  We use ZO Skin Care in the office.

Melissa Johnson, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Best to seek only in person consultations with boarded PSs in your area.....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I appreciate your concern, but physical exam would be helpful. However, your photo demonstrates possibly mild Gynecomastia which is usually treated by liposuction alone. The scars are small and well hidden. Insurance may or may not cover it, depends on your policy. The pigment should be treatable as well. Check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as you may find it helpful. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, good luck

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Unfortunately I've seen things like this many times. It's not fun but you simply have to stop applying whatever it is you were using on your skin. It should get better with time. When you're in the position to have this problem treated it is a solvable situation. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Darkness under bandages following gynecomastia

Hyperpigmentation underlying bandages is caused by allergic reaction to the either the bandages or glue used to stick the bandages. To get rid of this allergic reaction dermatitis I would recommend
a)washing with soap and water;
b)one week of topical steroids;
c)3 months of topical hydroquinone 

Arian Mowlavi, MD