Can chest workouts rebuild my chest after unilateral gynecomastia surgery about 5-6 years ago? Or is surgery required? (photo)

I had unilateral gynecomastia and decided to have surgery on one side only and not both sides since the other side was normal.The surgeon used both liposuction to remove fat and excision to take out the glandular tissue. Will I need to have surgery again to even out my chest or can working out my chest be enough? My chest is currently not symmetrical

Assymetry Years After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Chest asymmetry following gynecomastia repair

Unfortunately, I do not appreciate the asymmetry you mention through the photos that you have provided. A physical examination is really necessary to document your deformities.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

An chest workouts rebuild my chest after unilateral gynecomastia surgery about 5-6 years ago? Or is surgery required?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  I do see the subtle asymmetry between your left and right chests, but would not recommend any surgical procedures at this time.  You should be able to improve upon the differences through continued diet and exercise.  If this does not sufficiently correct your chest, you may consider liposuction of the non-operated chest but be aware that there is almost always some degree of difference between the sides of the body. 

Another surgery might not be warranted

Based on photos, another surgery is unwarranted.  Take note that revisions are reserved for patients with noticeable or extreme cases of asymmetry, nipple collapse, significant scarring. 

Nevertheless, you may want to visit your PS or find a second opinion to share your concerns. 

I hope that helps and good luck.

Rebuilding Chest

Thank you for your pictures.  I do not think you need an operation.  I think building muscle mass through proper diet and weight training would be your best solution.  Good Luck

Chest asymmetry

It's tough to tell from the photos, but if I'm correct, you had your left chest treated with surgery.  Symmetry in unilateral cases is difficult to achieve.  I recommend that you return to your surgeon and voice your concerns.  A conservative liposuction of the opposite side might reduce the asymmetry.  It is difficult to build just one side of the chest only, with exercise alone.

Semira Bayati, MD, FACS

Asymmetry

Thank you for the question but an examination is really needed so see your surgeon or other experts in the area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD