Exposed sutures behind ear after otoplasty? (Photos)

I had otoplasty surgery 6 years ago.results were very bad.i was very dissapointed and now behind my ear sutures are exposed.what should i do know? How long can i postpone this situation?

Exposed Suture

Thank you for the question and photos.  The exposed suture needs to be removed.  I would call the surgeon's office where you had the original surgery done at to have them remove the suture.   

Exposed sutures behind ear after otoplasty?

An exposed suture must be removed because otherwise one risks inflammation of the ears. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about the unnatural edges along the antihelical fold as they are due to the excision of cartilage. This is undoubtedly a disadvantage of the traditional methods of otoplasty. Such changes are no longer possible with the new, minimally invasive Merck otoplasty, where cartilage is not excised anymore.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Exposed suture behind the ear

Hi Ozzy87,

The stitch can just be removed while the pleated, wavy fold on the cymba concha and cavum concha are quite unusual for a surgery done 6 years ago. Normally, you will see some excess skin wrinkling for a few months, but it should gradually resolve. Yours however seem like cartilage and may still be corrected.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon