Three days after otoplasty, one ear painful and swollen.

I had my surgery done on thursday and since the freezing has worn off my left ear has hurt a little bit (tolerable) but my right ear has been extremely painful. They are both insanely itchy which I'm assuming is due to the wrapping which is still on. My right ear is really swollen but my left ear is not. Is this a problem? I'm seeing my surgeon on Tuesday.

Worth going back

so a very painful ear soon after otoplasty is probably nothing but it may be a sign that there is an infection or bleeding. Either of these things can be a serious problem so I suggest you go back to your surgeon today ideally to ask for the dressing to be removed and so they can have a look. Hopefully nothing is wrong but if it is, then sooner is definitely better than later to treat it. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Pain and swelling three days after otoplasty,

Hello there and thank you so much for your question.

You are at a very early stage after ear surgery. The ears can be sore after surgery but if there is asymmetry with one ear looking and feeling different from the other it may reflect an underlying problem such as haematoma (blood clot) or infection. Now how that affects the ear and the final outcome depends a little on the specific technique used to correct the ear profile as some techniques can make the ears more vulnerable to problems than others. However, whichever technique was involved, the significant discomfort and swelling is a warning sign and if there is pressure on the cartilage then this could cause damage and affect the final outcome so I am sure that your surgeon will want to know about this. If it is a blood clot then this is easily sorted out if attention is given promptly.

I hope that this information was helpful and my very best wishes for an excellent outcome of surgery.

With kind regards

Tariq Ahmad, MBBChir, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

I would notify your surgeon's office today.  Sometimes when one ear hurts much more than the other, this can hearld a post op hematoma which needs immediate attention.  Best wishes.

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon