How Many Treatments is Required with miraDry to Stop Sweating?

2 miraDry treatments required to stop sweating

Two treatments spaced at approximately 3 months apart are required.  Although very uncommon, occasionally a third treatment may be necessary. 

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Two sessions are recommended

I have discovered that patients improve on the order 40-50% with the first treatment with miradry and 80-90% with the second treatment.  I generally recommend two sessions spaced three months apart.

Cameron Rokhsar, MD, FAAD

Treatment of underarm sweating and axillary hyperhidrosis with Miradry and Retrograde Suction Curettage

MiraDry is a new technique that is useful for underarm and axillary hyperhidrosis.  I have used the Retrograde Suction Curettage treatment for the same condition for many years and have found it useful for even the most resistant cases.  MiraDry will require one to two treatments whereas the Retrograde Suction Curettage may only need one definitive procedure.  Both procedures are effective treatments for underarm sweating. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

One treatment for 80% of people

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. Hope that helps!
And we are the busiest miraDry practice in California with great results. Let us know if you can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

2, in some cases 3

Most (95%) of patients will require two treatments, spaced 3 months apart for optimal outcomes. Sometimes (5%) of cases will require a third treatment. This is the exception with miraDry rather than the rule. 

Regards

Dr Davin Lim 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

2 treatments are recommended

2 tratments are recommended (2nd one after at least 3 months) However some patients are happy after just one treatment

2 miraDry treatments is recommended for optimal resulst

For optimal results, we recommend two miraDry treatments spaced 3 months apart.  Although you will likely achieve a 40-50% reduction in sweating after one treatment, two treatments are necessary to obtain a sweat reduction as high as 86% in most patients.  The miraDry procedure utilizes microwave technology to selectively target and eliminate sweat glands in the armpits by focusing electromagnetic waves at a specific level in the body where sweat glands are located.  Studies demonstrate that results last up to 2 years and are likely permanent as sweat glands do not regenerate.  Patients may initially note an increased reduction in sweating after the first treatment that gradually wears off because while approximately 40-50% of the sweat glands are gone, some may be temporarily stunted.  That is why it is advisable to have the second treatment for optimal results and full eradication of sweat glands. 

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

How many miraDry treatments do you need ? Hyperhidrosis Buffalo Niagara, NY

miraDry treatments - 1 or 2 depending on the level of treatment.

In our practice, > 86% of patients need a SINGLE treatment. That is because we are very thorough and retreat areas during the session and use the highest energy level. 

Level 5 treatments are most effective and are very safe to administer.

Inand my experience, one in 150 patients may need a third treatment. A thrid treatment is necessary in patients who seek complete dryness.

We therefore charge $1500 per session which most people love. 

Read the miraDry book that I wrote 3 years ago. It is provided on the link below. 

MiraDry - optimal results with 2 treatments

You will notice a reduction in sweating after the first treatment.  However, it takes two treatments to get optimal results (on average, > 80% reduction, with some patients achieving > 90% reduction).