What Should One Expect Immediately After Doing miraDry? Ok to Go Back to Work?

Would it be best if one scheduled the rest of the day off, or should it be ok to go right back to work after?

What to Expect after miraDry treatments

After the local anesthetic , you will likely experience a degree of discomfort, swelling and some bruising. Patients that work as hair stylists and nurses  have been known to take the next day off !

Swelling, soreness and bruising are common post miraDry

Most patients experience swelling, soreness and bruising post-procedure.  However, those side effects should be manageable with the use of ice packs & ibuprofen.  You should be able to return to work, provided it’s not vigorous exercising.

Karyn Grossman, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

What to expect after miraDry Treatment

You can expect to have some swelling and soreness immediately after treatment, which can last about a week but varies from patient to patient. It is recommended to apply ice on and off for the first 24 hours. Some patients also report a numb sensation in the treated area, which can last several weeks but subsides over time. While it is not recommended to work out heavily the day of treatment, most of our patients resume their regular activities the same day. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

After Care of MiraDry

Some swelling, bruising, numbness in treated area. You may go back to work but you need to refrain from  heavy lifting, running, swimming for 7 days. It is important to ice on and off for the rest of the day. 

Michael Hakimi, MD
Pasadena Physician

Going Back to Work After miraDry is A-OK

Downtime is minimal after miraDry. You may not want to exercise or do any heavy lifting for the next 7 days as swelling and possibly bruising can occur. You may also experience some numbness for the next 3 to 4 weeks. Taking Ibuprofen and icing the underarm area is key to a faster recovery. 

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Typical Recovery after miraDry

Immediately after the treatment, the underarms are still numb for a few hours.  It is possible to go back to work afterwards, but you will need to ice the underarms on and off to help with bruising and swelling.

We have patients taken Advil/Motrin for the first few days for any discomfort.  We tell patients to ice on and off for the first 48 hours.  They can expect some minimal bruising, swelling, and slight altered sensation of the skin.  These typically last for 1-2 weeks.  Patients should avoid exercise for the first week, but then after that, they can resume any activities they want. 

Shareef Jandali, MD
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Healing after my miraDry treatment

Our mirDry specialist will meet with you prior to your treatment to go over the procedure and answer any questions you may have. Afterwards, you will be administered lidocaine injections to numb the area. You should feel little to no pain during treatment. In a study performed by miraDry, patients rated the treatment pain a 2 out of 10 (1 being no pain, 10 being worst pain). Your underarms will then be marked with what looks like a temporary tattoo in the form of a grid. The treatment takes about one hour. Most people will see results in as little as one treatment, however, as with any medical treatment, this will vary from patient to patient
You can return to work the next day  ( i did without any problems after my treatment ) but will have swelling in your armpits

I went right back to work after I did it to myself!

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. Hope that helps!
And we are the busiest miraDry practice in California with great results. Let us know if you can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Downtime for MiraDry

Hi and thank you for your question! We recommend our patients not have to return to work the same day as miraDry, mainly because it can be sore and swollen and we want the patient to keep ice on the area regularly for the first 24-48 hours. If you're ok with those factors, then there is no contraindication to you going to work.
MiraDry eliminates sweat and odor glands and it has just received an indication for hair removal. It removes hair of all colors! Call our office for further questions!
Thank you!

Grant Stevens, MD

Miradry in Los Angeles

Some patients may return to work, although the swelling may be a bit uncomfortable. We advise you to return to work at least one day after Miradry. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS