What Should One Expect Immediately After Doing miraDry? Ok to Go Back to Work?

Would it be best if one scheduled the rest of the day off, or should it be ok to go right back to work after?

Swelling, soreness and bruising are common post miraDry

Most patients experience swelling, soreness and bruising post-procedure.  However, those side effects should be manageable with the use of ice packs & ibuprofen.  You should be able to return to work, provided it’s not vigorous exercising.

Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Typical Recovery after miraDry

Immediately after the treatment, the underarms are still numb for a few hours.  It is possible to go back to work afterwards, but you will need to ice the underarms on and off to help with bruising and swelling.

We have patients taken Advil/Motrin for the first few days for any discomfort.  We tell patients to ice on and off for the first 48 hours.  They can expect some minimal bruising, swelling, and slight altered sensation of the skin.  These typically last for 1-2 weeks.  Patients should avoid exercise for the first week, but then after that, they can resume any activities they want. 

Healing after my miraDry treatment

Our mirDry specialist will meet with you prior to your treatment to go over the procedure and answer any questions you may have. Afterwards, you will be administered lidocaine injections to numb the area. You should feel little to no pain during treatment. In a study performed by miraDry, patients rated the treatment pain a 2 out of 10 (1 being no pain, 10 being worst pain). Your underarms will then be marked with what looks like a temporary tattoo in the form of a grid. The treatment takes about one hour. Most people will see results in as little as one treatment, however, as with any medical treatment, this will vary from patient to patient
You can return to work the next day  ( i did without any problems after my treatment ) but will have swelling in your armpits

I went right back to work after I did it to myself!

Although miraDry is getting a lot of attention recently, it has actually been around for a while. It has been extensively studied and there is no cancer association. The FDA has cleared it for safe use as well. The microwave energy only penetrates 4-5mm in depth and heats up and destroys the sweat and odor glands. The energy does not reach lymph nodes or deeper structures and it in non-ionizing radiation (the safe kind, like radiowaves). I have had the procedure done myself and it has truly been a gift. One and done for 80% of people! In the long term, much more cost-effective than Botox which has to be repeated every 3-6 months. Let us know if we can help in any way.
Botox can be a good alternative while miradry is being approved for use in those areas. Botox prevents the nerves from telling the sweat glands to produce sweat and odor. Hope that helps!
And we are the busiest miraDry practice in California with great results. Let us know if you can help in any way.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Downtime for MiraDry

Hi and thank you for your question! We recommend our patients not have to return to work the same day as miraDry, mainly because it can be sore and swollen and we want the patient to keep ice on the area regularly for the first 24-48 hours. If you're ok with those factors, then there is no contraindication to you going to work.
MiraDry eliminates sweat and odor glands and it has just received an indication for hair removal. It removes hair of all colors! Call our office for further questions!
Thank you!

Grant Stevens, MD

What to Expect after miraDry treatments

After the local anesthetic , you will likely experience a degree of discomfort, swelling and some bruising. Patients that work as hair stylists and nurses  have been known to take the next day off !

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Miradry in Los Angeles

Some patients may return to work, although the swelling may be a bit uncomfortable. We advise you to return to work at least one day after Miradry. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Do it on a Friday afternoon!

Best to take the day off, if you are a weekday worker- my advice, take the last slot on a Friday afternoon. Then you will right to work on monday. I think miraDry company (miraLabs) downplays the downtime, if you are say on a higher treatment level, you may experience soreness and definitely swelling for 48-72 plus hours. 

All my miraDry patients are scheduled for either a Friday afternoon or a Sat am. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and cosmetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

What to expect after miraDry treatment

After miraDry most patients return immediately to their normal activities including work and exercise. Most patients have a good bit of swelling - almost like lumpiness - under the arms that you will feel and can be a bit uncomfortable but typically does not keep you from any activities. There is also at least a little bit of bruising in the treatment area only. We consider it a treatment with zero downtime as these side effects are short lived - 4-10 days - and do not keep you from the things you want and need to do.

Expectations after miraDry

MiraDry is associated with minimal to no downtime and patients may resume their normal activities on the same day of treatment.  Expected treatment side effects may include swelling and bruising.  A few, rare cases of temporary altered sensation have been reported, with all instances of altered sensation resolving on their own.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon