How long until the results of my face and neck lift are obvious? I am 3 weeks out and no one has noticed. Is that normal?

I would like to know if the results of a face and neck lift improve over a certain period of time? When are the best results start to become noticeable?

Results of facelift

Thank you for a great question and for sharing your experience.  Results of a face and neck lift can continue to improve over time, and at this stage you will still have some swelling.  Ideally, you want a natural result where you don't look surgical but refreshed...perhaps that is why you have not heard many comments yet.  So give it some time and communicate your concerns to your surgeon.   I hope you find this helpful.

Consult with a Board Certified Fellowship Trained Facial Plastic Surgery Specialist.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Results of facelift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Give it time . . .

I suppose the only way to guarantee that someone (anyone) notices a difference is if they were forewarned and looking for them (in which case they should definitely see a difference, especially at the jowl/neck areas). Otherwise, people may think you look better and/or refreshed, and not be sure why . . . . That being said, you definitely will still have swelling (generally up to 3 months, and which can mask the intended recontouring) - which may be what they do notice (if not bruising or other more telltale signs) - with more long-term/desired results not appreciable until later.

Give it time . . .

An early facelift before any significant sagging may not be noticeable to other people.

Hi Reneegail,

Swelling is most obvious during the first few weeks, but the results of the face and necklift should be visible already, unless there were postoperative complications.

Loose sagging jawline or neck should be tighter and smoother, unless this sagging was only noticeable to you and your surgeon.  Some sagging which is obvious to the patient is not obvious to their friends and family, because when you see people eye to eye, they can see under your chin, unless they are shorter than you and looking up under your chin.  

Most people are more self-absorbed with their own issues than to notice things on other people, unless they are nosy and curious.  Another possibility is that they did notice, but did not want to say anything, which might make you feel self conscious.

I would say that if no has noticed so far, at least you don't have any tell-tale signs of having had a face and necklift.  

I posted a web reference of a more dramatic example, but if your jawline and neck sagging was minimal, this may explain the lack of people noticing. 

I will you a continued speedy recovery.

Dr. Yang

P.S. If you find my answers or other doctors answers to questions are helpful, please +1 those answers to push up the better answers to the top, which helps others who read the same post, get to the more helpful answers first.

P.P.S. There is a new feature on Realself, which is the "Follow" button. It is similar to the "Like" button on Facebook. If you like my response or any of the doctor responses while you research on Realself, you should "Follow" them. You will get email updates, when the doctors you follow post any new answers to questions, post new photos, or have any new reviews.

George Yang, MD

Hi Reneegail,

I will you a continued speedy recovery.

Dr. Yang

George Yang, MD

Facelift results

Generally speaking, most of my patients have results that are visible immediately.  As swelling peaks during the first 3 days, those  changes may be masked until it subsides. That can take another week to one month. Subtle swelling within the skin  can take even longer. Visible changes are almost always evident in our one month post op photos. The degree of change is variable depending on the degree of preop laxity. The degree to which people notice or vocalize it, is also variable. My goal is that by the time swelling has resolved, people notice that you look better and different but can't figure out why. They may or may not say anything. I do not want people to conclude that you look like you had a facelift, but I also don't want them to think you need one. 

Facelift results

Noticeable results after facelift

Many thanks for submitting your question.

You are still in the very early stages of recovery post facelift procedure and whilst it should be possible to see some improvement at this stage, you will need to wait for any post operative swelling and inflammation to subside. It is after this time that you should see your final result.

People may say that you look refreshed or ask if you've been on holiday rather than it being obviously noticeable that you've had a facelift.

Noticeable results after facelift

Results of face and neck lift

You should start to see results immediately.  As the swelling goes down you should notice even more improvement in the neck as the angle of the jawline will become more pronounced.  It is not uncommon that no one notices or says anything about your surgery.  That could be because it is a great, natural result.  It is also that many people are just not very observant.  The important thing is that you notice a difference.  The surgery was done for you!

Results of face and neck lift

Not being noticeable following facelift may be a good thing.

Noticeable is not always a good thing in plastic surgery.  Just think of some of the celebrities who have facelifts and are very noticeable for all the wrong reasons.  Sometimes not be noticed is a compliment to the plastic surgeon who has produced a natural result.

Your acquaintances and coworkers don't know your face like you do.  They may look at you and think did she get a haircut or lose weight?  In these circumstances you would need to have your before picture on your shoulder next to your face for people to realize that you  have had a face lift.

You also get used to your younger look quickly because you used to look like that.  So when you see you before pictures, you may be amazed at the transformation.

Thank you for you question.  All my best.

Facelift

Results from a face and neck lift should be visible immediately, and more refinement will occur in the first few weeks to 2 months out from surgery.  There are some factors such as voice box position and skin thickness that can affect how "dramatic" the result is.  It is most important that you are satisfied.  Sometimes it is better to have a subtle result that other people don't immediately notice, but that allows you to feel refreshed, younger, and more confident.  Make sure to continue to follow with your surgeon who can counsel you about results.
Best wishes

Daniel J. Givens, MD
Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

Best wishes

Daniel J. Givens, MD
Dubuque Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Results

While I think the signs of a good facelift are that no one should know you have had a facelift, I do want people to think my patients look better...just not know why!  At 3 weeks you likely still have fairly significant swelling.  I think that it takes 6-8 weeks for 80% or swelling to resolve and 6 months to appreciate your final result.  Be patient....

Facelift Results

Facelift Swelling and Recovery Expectations

Generally speaking facelifts normally take about 4-6 weeks to look more natural.  Some patients experience some swelling in the first two weeks and then stitches are removed and the swelling gets better.  Sleeping in an elevated position helps. Whether or not your friends and family notice very much depends on how dramatic your results are and what age group you are in.   I find older clients in the 60-75 age group have a more dramatic change as they normally have more sagging jowls and loose neck skin.   If your swelling persist please contact your plastic surgeon.  Most often patients are thrilled with their results and find they look and feel better about themselves with the results.

John Ward, MD (retired)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

John Ward, MD (retired)
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon