Is the lunchtime neck lift an effective and lasting procedure to improve the look and definition of the neck & jawline? (Photo)

Although most of the information and videos out there are a few years old, I recently discovered a procedure referred to as the lunchtime neck lift. It seems to be more or less smart lipo followed by a laser inside of the neck. The doctor most famous for this technique, from what I can see, is Dr. Thomas Barnes of Newport Beach, CA. I am very interested in this procedure but have found very little info about it on this website. This surprises me because it appears to have excellent results.

Lunchtime Necklift??

You may be the exception, however most of the patients whom I meet who have undergone "quick or no recovery" procedures are either immediately disappointed or find that the benefits are short-lived.  Liposuction of a female neck can and does stimulate skin contraction and sometimes produces dramatic improvement, however your single photo suggests that you may find yourself with less neck padding but older looking saggy skin.
Meet a few Bd Certified plastic surgeons so a face to face evaluation can be undertaken. This way you can make informed choices and perhaps avoid the risk of wasting your money.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS
Certified, Am Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, Am. Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, Ca

Lunchtime neck lift an effective and lasting procedure to improve the look and definition of the neck & jawline?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos I can't see the cheeks but there is excess fat below and in front of the cheeks and in the neck, jowls are present and the chin is weak.  

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed. My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Shorter procedures have less durable results

plain and simple... but if this doctor can promise you what you desire and for a certain time frame, then get it in writing and know what happens if your procedure doesn't live up to your expectations.  Otherwise most surgeons frown on 'quick' procedures such as what you describe.  But if you have a fatty neck, you will get a result from anything that removes the fat and when combined with Thermi, should produce the same results at possiblty less costs.

Curtis Wong, MD

Liposuction of the Neck

The lunchtime necklift you are describing is a type of liposuction. The proper patient can achieve a very good result with liposuction of the neck. Whether or not you are this kind of patient would require a physical examination. There are many plastic surgeons and dermatologists who do this type of surgery. There is no one particular doctor who is "famous" for it.

What most patients are referring to when they speak of a lunchtime facelift is some type of lift that involves incisions around the ears and a lifting of the skin. These types of procedures invariably give a short-lived result with which most patients are disappointed.

George Sanders, MD

Is the lunchtime neck lift an effective and lasting procedure to improve the look and definition of the neck & jawline

In general, the less time it takes to perform the procedure, the shorter the longevity of the improvements. That is due to the inability to reposition tissues as well in a faster procedure. Moving tissues, which is what aids maintaining a longer positive effect, takes time to perform

Julio Garcia, MD

A shortcut in surgery leads to a shortcut in results

Although there are many new products and techniques available to improve our appearance with little or no downtime, surgery is not one of them. 

A short surgery for a short recovery will likely produce a short-lived result.

I recommend consulting with a surgeon who will present your treatment options both non-surgical and surgical appropriate for you. Non-surgical options are temporary and more subtle with little down-time. Selecting a surgery is a commitment to the procedure and recovery in order to produce a longer lasting and effective result. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift vs lunchtime lift

Thank you for your question. In general the "lesser" quicker procedures tend to have lesser and shorter lasting results. More photos from multiple angles would be helpful. With that said, based upon your photo it appears as though you would benefit from more than a limited procedure. You will have better longer lasting results from a true facelift, which will address the lower face and neck. I recommend you schedule consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is experienced in facelift. Best of luck!

Josh Surowitz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lunchtime Neck Lift

Thank you for your question and photo. From the single view I do not believe that submental liposuction alone would be the best procedure to help you achieve a great result. Many patients are looking for abbreviated procedures with limited recovery and downtime. I understand their motivation but often this leads  to making a decision that may not be what they need and ultimately a disappointing outcome. Be wary of information strictly on the web and where the information comes from. I would only recommend  consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who have boards that are under the umbrella of the American Board of Medical Specialties. While confusing to patients, and I would argue very unfair, many boards exist out there that are essentially lacking any real training for membership but sound highly skilled. Be sure to do your homework and meet with at least two board certified plastic surgeons so you can get expert advice and make an informed decision. This is the best way to help you achieve your goal
Best of Luck
DrG

Lee A. Gibstein, MD

A true neck lift takes a couple of hours minimal work and is surgery.

No lunch time neck lift is worth anything. Although liposuction by itself if all that many patients need to improve their necks. If you have loose skin then you need either a lower face/neck lift or a platysmaplasty both of which is true surgery but easy to undergo under local. sincerely,dr hansen

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport, Kybella

Anything that is "lunch time" is often not long term effective.  Please seek an expert for a formal evaluation of treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.