Who is the best revision rhinoplasty specialist to fix a crooked nose? (Photo)

The front view of my nose was made insanely crooked after surgery. It was not crooked before surgery. Please reccomend surgeons who can possibly help me. I just want my straight nose back. This has ruined everything

Revision rhinoplasty for a crooked nose

Revision rhinoplasty is harder than a primary rhinoplasty,  so choose your surgeon very widely based on extensive experience, and have reasonable expectations. There is no perfect nose, but it can certainly be made much better. To straighten  the nose requires osteotomies placed in the nasal bones, and usually a spreader graft placed underneath the concave upper lateral cartilage in the mid portion of the nose. Some minor tip adjustments are sometimes necessary as well. It is important to know whether or not there is any cartilage left on the inside of the nose for potential grafting purposes. For many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the link and the video below

Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi,

What you have to do is do your own research. There are many skilled surgeons that can fix this problem. You will probably need a cartilage graft ( camaflouge graft on the right) and an osteotomy to straighten you nose again. Use the internet , websites and reviews... its a much better source than someones recommendation.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

I'm not sure who the 'best' is or if there even is such a person....

Although baseball is a statistical game and most players who bat .300 will go to the Hall of Fame, rhinoplasty (or any surgery for that matter) doesn't work that way...unfortunately, sports are more transparent and competitive than surgery

There are far too many self proclaimed rhinoplasty experts...vetting your surgeon can be difficult and time consuming but is essential... for every 10 surgeons (be they Plastic Surgery or ENT trained) who hold themselves out to be rhinoplasty experts, 9 are either exaggerating their talents or don't know any better....that still leaves many in your area and beyond who really know their stuff and practice exquisite rhinoplasty surgery

Credentials and proper training are a must, but beyond these minimum requirements you should look for the following traits in a rhinoplasty expert:

1. many years of rhinoplasty practice experience
2. judgment and techniques that have evolved over time
3. practice focused on rhinoplasty
4. willingness to do difficult, secondary and reconstructive cases
5. interest in teaching others how to evaluate and do rhinoplasty properly
6. willingness to share rhinoplasty resume, photos and patient experiences with prospective patients

Once you have gotten that far, you will have to become comfortable with the surgeon's assessment of your nose and trust their aesthetic judgment and plan for your surgery.  

Straightening a crooked nose is tricky but obtainable.... it usually requires a combination of cartilage molding techniques and structural grafting....in my practice, I use only septal cartilage when available or costochondral (rib) cartilage as a great alternative as these are rigid and reliable

I know you are scared and frustrated....take your time to find someone who really 'gets it'..... make sure the plan is solid and described in detail to you

good luck

Revision rhinoplasty

Dear alli_104,

Thank you for your clinical post and photographs. In keeping with previous posts and comments at 4 months it is still far too early to evaluate the final result of your rhinoplasty surgery. I think there has been some nice improvements to your overall nasofacial balance and proportion and there is evidence of a post-operative crooked nose phenotype. This may improve over time. The use of soft tissue fillers can camouflage it in the interim and at one year final evaluation should be made. I’ve been performing rhinoplasty surgery for over 20 years and was fortunate to train in both plastic surgery and ENT head and neck oncology. Having trained with both ear, nose, throat and plastic surgeons one of the best secondary rhinoplasty surgeons in the city would be Dr. Peter Adamson. I’ve always found his secondary work to be excellent. He’s an honest and integral surgeon with a high degree of rhinoplasty skills. I would certainly recommend seeing Dr. Adamson as you approach the one year mark to discuss possible revision options.

I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.

To find out more, please visit the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD