What procedure can I have to enhance my philtrum a bit? (photos)

I think my philtrum is boring and a bit flat. I'd like to have a small fold or crease on my philtrum because I think it's attractive. I like to have the same volume as the 2nd picture.. What is the best way to do it?

Philtrum anatomy

Your philtrum can be augmented with a filler such as Juvederm or Restylane.  The philtrum is formed by circular muscles that surround your lips and criss-cross under your nose, giving you the ridges which we call the philtral columns.  These columns can be more defined or augmented by the filler.  Make sure you seek out a practitioner who has experience with lip injection and understands lip anatomy and function.Good luck.

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. The philtrum is an important part of the lip's aesthetic appearance as the lips are the first thing that most people notice about women. You may consider a direct lip lift, which creates a slightly raised effect and creates more surface area between the lip and the philtrum. You can also explore the lip lift with the corner lip lift. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to learn more about your options during an in-person examination. Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Conservative Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  Based on your photo, you appear to be an excellent candidate for a conservative lip augmentation with a small amount of dermal filler such as Juvederm.  Beautiful and natural results can be achieved.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

Fillers can be used to augment this area.  I suggest you see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Philtrum and fillers

A small amount of filler would be best to add to this area on your upper lip to give it more definition.  This is an advanced technique so please consult a specialist.  Best, Dr. Green

Looking for an Augmented Cupid's Bow

Hello! Thank you for your question and for sharing your pictures! This is a simple thing to do with a small amount of filler such as Juvederm Ultra Plus. It takes about 15-20 minutes and lasts 9 months to a year - and I have had this same procedure done in my own lips and love the result! A word of warning - it will only take about 1/3rd to 1/2 of a syringe to do this work, so think ahead about where you would like the other half of the syringe to be placed.(Filler is sold in pre-loaded syringes which are sterile and cannot be shared among people - so when you buy a syringe you will be paying for the whole thing regardless of how much you use.) I hope this helps, and good luck!

What procedure can I have to enhance my philtrum a bit?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Placement of a hyaluronic acid based dermal filler, such as Juvederm Ultra Plus, is an excellent way to add definition to your philtral columns which can help accentuate your philtral dimple and Cupid's bow.  This needs to be done conservatively to achieve a natural but noticeable result.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon.  Hope this helps.

Lip Philtrum Enhancement

Lip philtrum with outward projection is a sign of youth and fertility. This feature flattens with age as a result of decrease in estrogen levels in women. Lip philtrum enhancement can be achieved in a short in office treatment with HA injection. Having said that this is an easy treatment, I should emphasize that this is not a treatment to be trusted to a novice injector. An experienced injector knows the pitfalls to avoid so that you don't go from boring to unnatural and unattractive.

Monica Bonakdar, MD
Corona Del Mar Physician

Start with temp fillers then switch to permanent implants for that pretty Paris lip look.

Permanent implants are great to give the "paris" look which is the philtrum enhancements of the upper lip so the cupid's bow is sharper or more defined. Always get it done with the temp fillers such as restylane or juvederm 1st to see how you like it.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation

I would recommend a filler like Juvederm Ultra plus to see if you like the look. Conservative augmentation is a good way to start. If you like the result, you might consider fat grafting, as the studies show that as much as 85% of fat stays permanently. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon, good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD