Do I need to prepare before hand for lip injections?

I'm getting emervel lip fillers done for the first time in a couple of days and I'm wondering if I needed to prepare in any way for it. For example medications I have to stop taking or things I should do to make the process go smoother for myself and the doctor. Thank you!

Preparing for Lip injections

Although it is not common, you may have some bruising and/or swelling at the injection sites.   If this does occur, it can last a few days to a week; but can be covered with make-up immediately if needed.  To minimize bruising following your treatment, medications that may “thin” your blood should ideally be discontinued for a full 2 weeks prior to your appointment if it is medically safe to do so.  Please check with your prescribing doctor if you are unsure.  Some medications to discontinue include aspirin, fish oil, anti-inflammatory drugs (such as ibuprofen, Motrin, Advil, or Aleve), and Vitamin E.  I recommend seeking the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon to perform these injections.

Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

There is no preparation needed for filler injections except to be off any blood thinning medications.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip augmentation

Lip injections come with the potential for bruising and swelling. To prepare for this from your end, you can avoid medications that cause bleeding such as aspirin, ibuprofen, Aleve and even fish oil. 

Arnica Montana has some evidence as an herbal supplement to reduce swelling and bruising. Afterwards you can plan on taking some time to ice, and you should be golden.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Do I need to prepar beforehand for lip injections?

Thank you for your excellent question.  I would recommend stopping any medications that can increase your risk of bleeding, such as aspirin or ibuprofen.  Your surgeon's office can give you a more exhaustive list of medications that you should avoid.  Additionally you may want to start with medications that limit your swelling, such as arnica Montana and bromelain.  Outside of this, in-office lip augmentations tend to go smoothly and require little downtime.  Hope this helps.

Lip Injections

To minimize bruising for after your injections, one week prior to your appointment, you should ideally stop taking and aspiring contained medications(Aleve, Motrin, Advil), fish oil, and Vitamin E. You could also start taking Arnika 2-3 days prior to your appointment to help with the bruising as well.  However, if you do have some slight bruising, it can be easily covered up with makeup immediately after your injections.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Each surgeon tends to have their own recommendations, which are based on a holistic approach to the preparation to and recovery from surgery. I do not want to recommend something that your surgeon would recommend against. Please make sure that you are clear on the pre-surgical preparations as discussed during your pre-op appointment with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. Feel free to call the office for a refresher as well.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon