My nostrils alternate when I breathe almost 4 years after only one Rhinoplasty. How to fix this problem?

I never once had a breathing problem until AFTER I regrettably decided to get Rhinoplasty to improve my appearance. My nostrils keep alternating sides - this issue has be on-going for almost 4 years now. I became an open mouth breather at night due to it, waking up every day with a sore throat and dry mouth - which also causes major morning breath (which I never had a problem with before). Why is my breathing still bad? :( I live 4 hrs from my doc and I can't afford another surgery at the moment

Greetings

Thank you for yoour question. 

There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.vv

In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty 4 Year Results & the Nasal Cycle | Ultradian Rhythm

Thank you for your question about recovery from rhinoplasty. Before and After pictures would be helpful.

In general, aggressive rhinoplasty can make the nose smaller and contribute to difficulty breathing.  However, the Nasal Cycle is also a natural process and falls under the category of Ultradian Rhythms.  This is a normal phenomenon.

You will likely get many different opinions from members of the RealSelf Community, but they have not physically seen or examined you, and nobody knows you or the circumstances better than your doctor.

If you feel you are not being listened to or you are doubting your doctor’s recommendations, then it is certainly within your rights to seek a second and get the advice from another board certified physician. This should be done through an in-person consultation.

Best Wishes.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS