How much will the nose deswell after cast removal? (photos)

I know that the nose I see immediately after cast removal is not the final result. However, I was wondering just how drastic the change will be in the following months? I removed my cast yesterday one week after surgery, and I noticed that the tip of my nose is very bulbous and round and looks exactly the same as my original nose. As it deswells, will the tip of my nose narrow significantly or will there be little difference? Thank you.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

Thank you for your Recovery, 
the first couple of days after
nose surgery,
be prepared for swelling of the face, especially in the area of the
eyelids. These swellings worsen usually by sudden temperature
changes. Often occur also blood hematomas. The swelling can be easily
reduced with cold compresses. Small swelling can last for weeks or
months. Your nose may feel stuffy for some time; this is caused by
the swelling of your nasal mucous membrane. In the summer the patient
should not expose to the sun for at least 3 months after the surgery
because there is a threat of unnatural pigmentation of corrected
nose. In winter the nose is more likely to freeze.

the summer the patient should not expose to the sun for at least 3
months after the surgery because there is a threat of unnatural
pigmentation of corrected nose. 

Rhinoplasty Recovery

The swelling after a rhinoplasty is rarely symmetric. One side will always resolve more quickly than the other. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Tip swelling after splint removal

Of course your tip is swollen this early after the surgery.  The more work done to the tip the more swelling, additionally if the alar bases were narrowed that adds to the swelling.

Elevate and be patient.  You should see improvements by the week and have a very good idea of what it is going to look like by 2 months.

Thomas W. Loeb, MD

Close Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Nasal tip swelling

The nose is often maximally swollen at this point and will take many months to improve. How much better is difficult to predict.

Swelling after splint removal is normal

It is 100% normal for the tip to be the most swollen part of your nose. Sometimes, it swells more right after tape removal. Based on your skin thickness, I'd expect it to take one to three months for you to see significant change.Steroid shots and taping can help, at the surgeon's discretion.

Did you know we are ***live on Snapchat*** every day? We are St Louis' own plastic surgery reality show! Add us (nosebynayak) to see what goes on behind the scenes. Caution – our daily story is addictive, contains live surgery, and is not for the faint of heart!

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cast Removal

Thank you for your question.  You are correct that there will be quite a bit of swelling after the initial cast removal.  As a matter of fact, I will tell my patients to anticipate this. Swelling after rhinoplasty can usually take up to 6 months to one year to fully resolve.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon, as he/she knows exactly what was done during your procedure. 

I hope that this helps!
-David Gilpin

David Gilpin, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon