How long should you wait between sessions of fat transfer to breast?

Fat transfer from abdomen to breast to address asymmetry (approx. 1 cup size difference). Advised it required a large volume transfer, likely requiring at least two sessions. I understand there is initial swelling and not all of the transferred fat will "take". How many months does it take before things "stabilize" and you know how much fat has survived?

I try to avoid performing the surgery more than once, and the average patient achieves about 3/4 cup increase in size.  If a second procedure is indicated, you can usually tell by 6 weeks.  Depending upon healing characteristics, it may be reasonable to perform the second surgery at 3 months.

Timing between fat grafting sessions

I would agree that 6 months is probably a reasonable amount of time to wait if your breasts seem like they are no longer changing. I would suggest that you wait longer than 6 months if you continue to notice changes in the breasts, as it is always best to address asymmetry once things are stable to avoid "shooting at a moving target".  Good luck!

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

Thank you for your question. About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.  At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results. Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon #RealSelf100Surgeon

Wait

Most patients should wait about 6 months before an additional fat transfer to let the first transfer settle and heal. Some may need to wait up to one year.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to breasts

Hi, the amount of grafted fat which remains following fat grafting is extremely variable, but anticipate that 30-50% of the initial amount will be lost.  You will generally see your results in 3-6 months, but to be safe I ask patients to wait for one year prior to undergoing another session of fat grafting.  Best wishes.