Would you be awake for the breast fat transfer?

Awake surgery

Personally I'm not a fan of doing liposuction and fat grafting with the patient awake. In cases of small transfers, certainly that is a possibility. It depends on how much. I would definitely discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you. 

General or MAC anesthesia

The best type of anesthesia depends on the patient, procedure and surgeon. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for in person evaluation.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat transfer

Fat transfers can be done awake, however, the Lidocaine volume used to numb might limit the amount of fat transferred. Also, with local anesthesia, there is a limitation of the amount of local anesthetic that can be used. If you want several areas treated with liposuction, you might want to choose general anesthesia.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Prefer to have the patient asleep

Thanks for the great question. Like the others have stated, although it is possible to perform face grafting under local anesthesia, I prefer to perform these types of procedures with the patient asleep. It is much more comfortable for the patient to be asleep for these types of procedures. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Fat transfer breast augmentation

Dear Aamira21,

Although it is possible to be awake for a fat transfer breast augmentation, it is not usually recommended.  Large surface areas of the body are difficult to fully anesthetize with local anesthesia.  If you do choose this route, be prepared for some discomfort.  Good luck!

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your question.  Because fat has to be harvested from one or more areas (liposuction) and then injected into the breasts, this procedure is commonly done under general anaesthetic.  This can very from surgeon to surgeon, however as always, be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your best and safest outcome.

Best of Luck,

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon