How common are calcified fat lumps after fat grafting to breasts and how can they be avoided?

I am getting fat grafted to my breasts next month and my only concern is about fat cells dying, calcifying and leaving lumps. Are there techniques that MD's can use to avoid this from happening and/or things I can do before or after surgery to help? My surgeon says he plans to inject 400cc's to each breast that will be taken from my abdomen and flanks. He says he injects it with an 18g needle in thousands of rows of fat throughout rather than large clusters and expects 150-200 to be permanent.

Natural breast augmentation with fat grafting

I appreciate your question

I perform a natural breast augmentation with fat. This can be removed from any unwanted areas including the breast itself as part of my lipo-lift procedure. I perform the fat grafting in multiple planes including under the muscle to give the best, most natural enhancement. Fat grafting is a great solution for someone who wants to bring their breast size up a cup or so and use natural tissue vs an implant. However, it can also be combined with an implant or used as a secondary procedure to fill in areas that are flat or thin. It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms or breast feeding. It can be a little lump or hard at first but tends to soften over time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Calicification

All surgeons who transfer fat try to avoid calcification. If too much fat is placed in one spot, the calcification may occur. Not all fat cells transferred will survive.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Avoiding calcification after fat grafting?

Thank you for your question. Whenever we perform a fat grafting procedure, there is always some degree of natural graft loss even with excellent technique. The fat cells are very delicate, and some just don't survive the process. The best way to optimize the graft survival is to avoid over-grafting in any one area. Your surgeon obviously understands this if he is already telling you about placing small amounts of fat in lots of different places. The 50% long-term survival rate is that he has stated is also within the normal range in many cases, even with very good technique. Large areas of fat graft calcification are uncommon with this technique. I hope that this is helpful. If you still have concerns, I would review them in detail with your surgeon before the procedure. Best of luck to you.

Michael F. Bohley, MD