Fat transfer breast augmentation cause sagging in the future?

Many medical procedures that have fat grafting eventually cause skin sag and therefore needing more injections (from what I'm told). Is this true about fat transfer breast augmentation? Are there any long term effects? In 10 years would I need to get more fat injected into my breast (similar to the maintenance of implants). If I had a weight gain and then lost weight, would my procedure of fat transferred to the breast be lost? After breastfeeding will my breasts return to what procedure I had?

Fat transfer to the breast

The degree of change to the breast is dependent on how much fat is placed in the breast. Your skin won't sag more at the donor site unless you have poor elasticity to the skin or stretch marks in the area to begin with. Unfortunately, your breasts will change with time and ordinary physiologic events such as pregnancy. There are no long term issues after fat grafting. What volume you have retained after 6 months should be retained. The breast volume will fluctuate with normal weight changes however. 

Edina Plastic Surgeon

Skin stretch after fat grafting

Hi - thanks for your question.  Fat transfer to the breast is unlikely to cause skin sag from the fat transfer alone.  Your breasts will change shape and often lose fullness over time.  Any fat that is transferred and remains at 6 months will be permanent and if you gain/lose weight over time then breast volume may increase/decrease with your weight.  Fat transfer is different to implants in that it does not have to be 'topped up' at 10 years in the way implants may need to be exchanged. 

Fat transfer

Over time and with breast feeding, your breasts will change. The larger the breast, there is more chance of sagging. With weight gain, fat transfers can also grow larger, and the reverse is true with weight loss. Fat transfers only need to be repeated if you desire more volume. Not all fat cells transferred will stay over time.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Fat Transfer/ Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

About 60-70% of the grafted fat survives.

At 6 months you will have a good idea of your results

Some women have a second or third procedure which continues to increase your volume safely.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Fat graftng will not make your skin sag...

or your breasts for that matter.  Aging will allow your breasts to sag as does breast feeding and weight loss and the weight of implants.  Fat grafting shouldn't be counted on for large enhancements (perhaps a cup size).  And whatever fat is used in grafting will still act like the fat where it came from so tummy fat will gain size as you gain weight and lose it last when you lose weight.  Fat grafting should be used for volume enhancement and for filling in any small defects.

Curtis Wong, MD