Fibroadenomas - do they need to be biopsied or better to be removed if the woman is above 40?

I have been planning to get a breast fat transfer and my surgeon requeated a breast ultrasound although I had a mammogram few weeks ago &was clear.the ultrasound showed a few cysts in the left breast and a 2 cm fibroadenoma in the right one.she insisted it looked benign but still suggested a biopsy making me worry and am trying to keep positive .How can this be missed by a mammogram ? I booked with a breast surgeon do u think it is better to just remove it altogether to stay on the safe side .

Fibroadenoma

You need to decide on whether to remove the fibroadenoma. If you wish to remove the fibroadenoma I would do this first and wait 6 months before having aft. 

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Natural breast augmentation with fat grafting

I appreciate your question

I perform a natural breast augmentation with fat. This can be removed from any unwanted areas including the breast itself as part of my lipo-lift procedure. I perform the fat grafting in multiple planes including under the muscle to give the best, most natural enhancement. Fat grafting is a great solution for someone who wants to bring their breast size up a cup or so and use natural tissue vs an implant. However, it can also be combined with an implant or used as a secondary procedure to fill in areas that are flat or thin. It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms or breast feeding. It can be a little lump or hard at first but tends to soften over time.

Fibroadenomas are benign but should be checked out, if anything to make you feel better.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

You are clearly concerned about this, and it would not be unreasonable to remove the fibroadenoma in its entirety.

Fibroadenoma

Although fibroadenomas are benign, you will probably have multiple mammagrams and ultrasounds over your lifetime to watch it. I would suggest having it removed, especially if you are considering a fat transfer. Plus removal can check the whole tumor, whereas a biopsy will only check the tissue removed.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon