How many days before Rhinoplasty can I start taking arnica (pellets), and what is the suggested dose per day?

My rhinoplasty and chin augmentation is booked for a week from now. Is it too soon to start taking arnica pellets? I do bruise very very easily and would like to minimize this as much as possible.

Arnica pills

Take 5 pills under the tongue 3 times a day starting 3 days before surgery. Also, avoid Aspirin, Motrin, Alleve, Fish Oil for two weeks before surgery. After chin implant you might have a lot of swelling. In those cases your doctor can prescribe you a Medrol Dose Pack (short course of oral steroids).
Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dear MelanieSparkles,

The desire to reduce bruising is a strong one amongst facial plastic surgery patients. A rhinoplasty in particular following osteotomy can lead to bruising under the eyes and a raccoon eye appearance. Chin implantation can also lead to bruising. Ideally, you want to restrict non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, Aspirin, Ginkgo, ginger and garlic for more than 3 weeks prior to the surgery and from anywhere from 3 days to one week prior to your surgery you can start taking oral Arnica Montana and Bromaline (pineapple extract) supplements. This can be continued post-operatively and can be combined with Arnica cream over the operative area.

Many patients and certainly some rhinoplasty physicians feel this will help decrease the bruising and ultimately when taking in appropriate doses is unlikely to cause any harm.

I hope this information has been of some assistance and best of luck.

For more information, please review the link below.

R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
Yorkville, Toronto

R. Stephen Mulholland, MD

Great question. I often recommend Arnica to my Rhinoplasty patients. Arnica is typically either a homeopathic or alternative herbal therapy, as such there is no standard dose. I usually recommend obtaining a reputable brand and follow the instructions provided on the product. I usually recommend started a week before and taking for a few weeks afterwards. Obviously you should discuss with your surgeon. Hope this helps. 

Julian W. Dixon, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello! Thank you for your question! The recommendations for the use of these homeopathic medications are surgeon preference. I typically suggest the use of Arnica Montana to decrease swelling and bruising. It is an herbal medication that is propagated from the seeds of an herb. I, as well as my patients, have seen some benefit with the treatment in the postoperative period. Although there is little evidence to its effectiveness, I believe there is some benefit, and no harm. I recommend 4-5 tablets under the tongue 4x/day for 3-5 days prior and 5-7 days after the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Rhinoplasty and chin implant candidate

In our practice, we do not recommend arnica,  since it only has a minimal effect, if any.  It is more important to be concerned about not taking any aspirin to prevent a nose bleed.

Arnica Before Rhinoplasty

There are so many Arnica preparations that I prefer to provide this for my patients who start taking it 2 days before surgery.