One side of chest puffy 4 months after gyno surgery? (photos)

I had Gyno surgery (primarily gland excision) almost 4 months ago now. One side is healed just fine, but the other side still seems to be puffy for some reason. When I touch the area I can feel the scar on both sides, but nothing major. I went to my surgeon about 2 weeks ago, but I don't think he could see what I was talking about. Neither side had gyno very bad, but the one side actually looks worse now. I'm thinking maybe the skin didn't adhere back like it was supposed to on the one side?

Puffiness after Gynecomastia Surgery

In many instances when patients are dealing with the same issues on both sides, the surgeon may perform the exact same procedure and yet differences may still result.  Though it is difficult to truly assess the issues on your left side without an examination, you very well could have a fluid collection (seroma), residual breast tissue or simply scar related issues based on your photos.  Though I would like to give you a definitive answer, the best way to proceed is to see your surgeon again and voice your concerns.  If he or she is not seeing what you are seeing, then a second opinion may be needed.  At least that should ease your mind that the issue will resolve on its own or give you a better idea as to what the next step is.  Thanks for the question and I hope this helps.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Healing & Assymetry After Gynecomastia Surgery

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Asymmetric result

Thank you for the photos but it is hard to access what is going on without an examination.  So if concerned seek a second opinion from experts in the area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD