Is It the Nicotine Itself That Constricts Blood Vessels?

2 surgeons referred to nicotine in restricting blood vessels. This confused me, as the popularity for imitation cigarettes is becoming more popular in helping smokers to stop inhaling all the other more dangerous chemicals. Would a surgeon still refuse to perform a facelift on a woman who uses these inhalers but has stopped smoking cigarettes?

Nicotine Is a Vasoconstrictor

Smokers are far more likely to experience complications following surgery than non-smokers for various reasons, including the presence of nicotine and carbon monoxide. This is why virtually all qualified plastic surgeons require patients to stop smoking at least 3 weeks prior to a procedure. If by "imitation cigarettes" you are referring to electronic cigarettes, most of those products still include some nicotine, which constricts blood vessels.  If you are committed to doing whatever is needed to get the best possible results of your cosmetic surgery, I recommend stopping all smoking and nicotine intake of any kind, including nicotine patches, before your surgery. I also include in this list all weight-loss pills (many contain ephedrine-type of substance or other vasoconstricting chemicals) and some medications treating ADHD for the same reasons. Good luck to you!  

Does the nicotine produce vessel constriction?

Yes, the nicotine does constrict the vessels.  By doing so, less blood gets to the tissues, raising the risks of skin necrosis.  And this is not only by smoking.  If you live or are around people that are smoking, you will become a passive smoker, meaning that you will also suffer the effects of nicotine.  The nicotine gum also produces similar results.  So prior to a facelift, please stop ALL contact with nicotine, in order to prevent unwanted results.

Alberto Arguello, MD
Costa Rica Plastic Surgeon

Nicotine and Surgery

Yes, Nicotine will cause constriction in blood vessels but it is not the only problem with smoking cigarettes. Smoking also involves the inhalation of carbon monoxide which interfere with the blood cells ability to carry oxygen to the tissue. Most surgeons want patients to stop smoking before surgery since this reduces the risk of reduced circulation, wound healing problems and in some cases, skin loss due to poor circulation and low oxygen delivery. I think that patients who are having difficulty breaking the cigarette habit before surgery are still better off with a nicotine patch or gum then they are with other substitutes. The smoke inhalation has been shown to be the most harmful factor of cigarettes when it comes to facial plastic surgery.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Facial Surgery

The best candidates for Lite Lift™ and other facelift surgery have a face and neck line beginning to sag, but whose skin has elasticity and whose bone structure is well defined and do not smoke Additionally, smoking may increase a chance of surgical complications and affect your #healing and the end result of your surgery. It's best to call your plastic #surgeon to better clarify. It's important to implement healthy lifestyle choices to not only prolong your surgical results, but most importantly, to reduce your risk of illness and disease which will impact your health. If you find it difficult to quit #smoking, speak to your physician who can provide information and programs that are properly designed to help you quit.

Why should I stop smoking before a facelift?

Many thanks for posting your question.

The key factor in cigarettes is the nicotine - this is a powerful drug that closes down the blood vessels that your facelift requires for good wound healing. Therefore smokers have a much higher incidence of complications after facelift surgery, including wound infections and problems healing.

In addition, smokers coughing after surgery can result in bleeding starting which may cause a haematoma (collection of blood) which will require further surgery to drain it.

Personally I do not perform facelift surgery on people who continue to smoke, as it is not worth the risk

Smoking and Facelift

Smoking will slow and complicate healing. In addition to nicotine, other factors such as carbon monoxide are harmful to the healing process. 

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Nicotine does cause blood vessel constricion

While cutting out all the bad chemicals in cigarettes is certainly more health beneficial than smoking cigarettes, nicotine (whether inhaled or taken as a patch, a pill, or gum) does cause blood vessel constriction, which can effect your results. For cosmetic procedures, most all plastic surgeons will require that you stop smoking at least 3 weeks before and 4 weeks after your procedure. This is because it isn't worth the risk that you will have some wound healing problems. Nicotine causes constriction to tiny blood vessels. Because these are the vessels that we depend on after surgery to get blood supply to your incisions to heal them, they are the most important (more important than the larger vessels in your body that are minimally effected by nicotine). For those smaller blood vessels, the slightest constriction (like that caused by nicotine) can have a huge effect. It's just not worth it. Make sure you've broken away from the nicotine before going under the cosmetic knife.

Smoking

Yes, the main culprit in smoking is the nicotine.  It takes several weeks for nicotine to wash out of your system and your microvascular circulation to return to normal.  This has big implications for wound healing in certain plastic surgery procedures.  I require all of my cosmetic surgery patients that are having large skin flaps raised to completely stop all forms of nicotine for 6 weeks.  These procedures include facelifts, abdominoplasty, anchor mastopexies, and breast reductions, among others.  Smoking/nicotine can cause major tissue loss in these procedures to the extent that I may not be able to fix them.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Does nicotine constrict blood vessels?

Short answer: yes, nicotine constricts blood vessels. Smoking tobacco is the worst/most unhealthy way to consume nicotine; all forms are bad for you, and any source of nicotine (patch, gum, e-cig, etc) will constrict blood vessels. It is up to the individual surgeon and patient to determine what level of risk s/he is comfortable with.

Smoking and facelifts

The use of nicotine, whether by conventional cigarettes or electronic, severely compromises bloodflow to the skin which can lead to devastating complications following facelift. Tobacco itself also contains several other toxic substances which damage the small vessels within tissue. This should mean that electric cigarettes are mildly less dangerous than conventional, though there is, as yet, and absence of any real data to support this. If you are considering facelift surgery, you should refrain from using all nicotine based products for at least eight weeks preoperatively and post-operatively. 

James Murphy, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon