Can I Stop Wearing my Compression Garment 12 Weeks Post-op TT?

I am 12 weeks post-op tummy tuck with a hernia and muscle repair today. I resumed exercise at about 4 weeks, gradually of course, and at this point I am feeling pretty good. I would like to start lifting heavier weight and trying sprint intervals again. My compression garment is starting to annoy me a bit and at this point I am curious about how healed the muscle repair is and if it is safe for me to start weening off of the compression garment. Thank you very much.

Compression Garment after Tummy Tuck?

I suggest you “burn” the garment at your earliest convenience.

Garment after a tummy tuck and muscle repair

I think your muscles are essentially healed at this point and it is OK to remove the garment and go about your normal activity without it, including exercising.

Julio Garcia, MD

Binder after surgery

Ask your surgeon first before seeking the opinions of surgeons who are less familiar with your situation. Your surgeon should be better able to provide you with an answer.

Ronald Levine, MD

Can I stop wearing my compression garment 12 weeks postop TT?

Hello! Thank you for your question!. The tummy tuck procedure is an excellent method for contouring of your abdomen, often removing the excess skin as well as tightening the abdominal wall. After nearly all surgical procedures, a potential space is created from where the surgical procedure/dissection was performed. This is especially true for the tummy tuck, in where the abdominal flap is raised off of the abdominal wall and then redraped atop the area to contour the abdomen. The procedure alone promotes swelling and inflammation, which typically lasts for 6-12 weeks. This may even last longer if liposuction has been performed in addition. During this time, a few things may be done to allow adherence of the abdominal skin/soft tissue to readhere to the abdominal wall and close that space. Many surgeons use drains to evacuate the expected serous fluid from building up. Stagnant fluid as such may be a nidus for infection as well as does not allow the tissue to adhere back to its normal anatomic position. Drains usually are removed once output is <30cc/day - usually removed within 3-4 weeks on average, sometimes longer. When this occurs, a seroma may develop - which may require aspiration or surgical evacuation to rid this in order to optimize your result.

This is not an uncommon reason for persistent swelling and/or bulging in a certain area of your belly. Of course, thwarting the development of a pseudobursa, or seroma capsule, is always best, to provide the best result as well as avoid any future procedures for this. This may be a troubling consequence and often compromises your overall result. Thus avoiding this complication, in whatever manner, is the objective. "Drainless" tummy tucks are becoming more popular - basically, the overlying tissue is physically sutured to the abdominal wall to close the potential space. In addition, most surgeons typically restrict vigorous activity/strenuous exercise as well as lifting restrictions of usually <20#, especially the core, for 6-8 weeks to allow healing to continue. Most also often recommend an abdominal compression-type binder or garment, which will serve to provide compression as well as assist to decrease swelling and eliminate the dead-space of the area for at least 6 weeks as well. Most patients are able to return to most activities within a couple of weeks, provided they adhere to the restrictions.

Overall, this is a procedure with a high satisfaction rate. Discuss the procedure and postoperative instructions/restrictions with your surgeon, as these will vary among surgeons. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Binder serves no useful purpose at 12 weeks post tummy tuck

There is absolutely no reason to wear a binder at 12 weeks as it is serving no useful purpose at this time. Typically, muscle healing occurs by 6 - 8 weeks ... so enjoy the freedom. (Did you discuss this with your surgeon?)

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Compression can go 12 weeks post tummy tuck

The compression wrap or binder is helpful for about four weeks after tummy tuck, and at 12 weeks it is ready to go. With your gradual exercise, the muscle repair should be safe.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Remove Compression Garment after Tummy Tuck & Hernia Repair

Most patients can stop the compression garment 2 to 4 weeks after a tummy tuck. Some surgeons recommend longer if there was a significant hernia repair done at the same time. Check with the surgeon who repaired the hernia to be sure it is OK, but most tissue healing is done after 6 weeks so it is unlikely that you need to keep wearing it.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Compression garment at 12 weeks

Yes, at 12 weeks you should be able to discontinue wearing your compression garment.  You can continue wearing your abdominal binder or similar compression device if it feels comfortable but it should not be necessary to do so at this time unless you are still dealing with healing issues such as a seroma cavity or pseudobursa (thick pocket of scar tissue, often fluid filled).

Remus

Remus Repta, MD

Compression garment should be worn according to your surgeon's advice

It's better to ask your surgeon about this because they know your situation and what was done during your surgery. The garment can be uncomfortable at times but it is beneficial for your recovery. Although by this time I think it would be okay to stop wearing it. Exercise guidelines outlined by your surgeon should also be followed. 

Compression Garment After Tummy Tuck

I generally advise patients wear their garment 24 hours a day for three weeks, removing it only when bathing or washing it. From 3 to 6 weeks, wear your garment in the day only. It helps with easing swelling and reducing the risk of seroma. You should avoid doing strenuous activities, including ab work, for at least 6 weeks after surgery.