Can I get Juvederm if I have chronically chapped lips?

I got off Accutane 8 years ago. Since then I have had chronically chapped lips. I apply Aquaphor 3-4 times/day. I would love to get Juvaderm to create fuller lips, but I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate due to my very dry lips. I have a consult appointment scheduled for this week, but I wanted some more opinions. So...thanks!

Chapped Lips and Juvederm

Yes, you can have lip augmentation with chapped lips. Having chapped lips will not affect your outcome. It actually might help improve your lips by keeping them hydrated. I recommend seeing an expert injector to discuss your concerns. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Chapped lips

The simple answer is yes, a hyaluronic acid filler will attract and hold a lot of water in the skin and so this is a great way to keep the lips hydrated. However, there may be a contributing factor such as allergy or irritation that is the root cause of the peeling and dryness. Patch testing can answer the question of allergy, and you can try to avoid irritants such as lanolin and menthol in lip products. 

Juvederm in someone with chapped lips

Interestingly, chapped lips often improve with juvederm or other hyaluronic acid filler injections. Best to see  your dermatologist for optimal results & safety.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Resolve Chapped Lips Before Juvederm

Work with a board-certified dermatologist to quell the inflammation in your lips first. Once your lips are healthy, you can move ahead with discussing the use of Juvederm to give your lips more volume and shape.

Douglas Wu, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Juvederm and Chapped Lips

Thank you for sharing your question. I do not advise pursuing lip injections while you are experiencing this level of dryness. I strongly recommend seeing a dermatologist who can evaluate your lips and rule out the possibility of infection or other inflammatory process. Once your skin symptoms are better controlled, Juvederm is a safe an effective way to add volume to the lips. In my practice, I like to use the microcannula technique, which minimizes the risk of bruising and swelling during filler injections. It may be worthwhile to consult with an injector who is experienced with this technique. 

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Can I get JVD if i have chronically chapped lips?

Thank you for sharing your question.  As long as your lips do not demonstrate any significant wound healing issues, such as cracks or fissures it would be fine to have Juvederm injected.  Be sure to see an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in order to maximize your results. 

Lip Fillers Can Improve Chapped Lips

Lip fillers can actually help improve your chapped lips as the Hyaluronic acid pulls in water to help moisturize the lips. The fillers can also help pink up pale lips. If you don't have any active inflammation then it should be ok to proceed. Make sure you find an experienced injector. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Juvederm in the Lips

Filler can most certainly be applied to dried, chapped lips.  Filler is injected into body of the lip.  Additionally filler is water loving so may improve dryness by holding more water in the area.  Good luck with your treatment!

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

You can have fuller lips

Hello and great question. There is no problem for someone with chapped lips to receive a lip augmentation. The filler is injected into the lips and you could still get the fuller lips you are looking for. 

Chapped lips and injections

You can still get lip injections despite having chapped lips. It won't affect your outcome. It actually might help improve them. The key to lip injections is going to the right injector. Do your homework.

Steven F. Weiner, MD