Would a septal extension graft help make the nasolabial angle how it used to be? (Photo)

Hello This is not a picture of me but I had a similar result with the nasolabial angle. As you can see the lip has a nice curve going into the nose on the before picture and in the after picture the upper lip does not curve into the nose anymore. Is there a way to reverse this? To make the nasolabial area more curved again. I think lengthening the nose might help

Improving #Rhinoplasty Results

Yes, there are ways to improve the nasolabial angle with cartilage grafting, but this is another operative procedure. Septal extension grafts are one way but there are simpler procedures to make this happen. 

You should see a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Plumping Graft Would be the Best Option

The exact cause of the deepening of your nasolabial angle could be clarified by reviewing your operative report.  In order to reverse it, you must add volume to the area.  You can achieve this by using:

1)  Facial Dermal Filler in the office
2)  Add a cartilage graft in the operating room

Anterior nasal spine

Wihtout knowing exactly what the other surgeon did it is hard to say for sure. My guess is that part of the anterior nasal spine or caudal septum was removed which opened that angle up more. A filler or graft may improve it.

Post rhinoplasty lip issues

You would benefit from a plumping graft with either filler, cartilage graft or implant to enhance the reduced anterior nasal spine.  This should improve the curve of the lip.  If you want to have more columella show then a septal extension graft would help both the lip curve and columella. Good luck. Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Nasolabial angle correction

Revision rhinoplasty to address the nasolabial angle is possible. A septal extension graft will help to extend the columella as you are describing. It may or may not help with the curvature of the lip however.

Jose E. Barrera, MD, FACS
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restoring the lip-nasal curve.

Restoring the lip-nasal curve can make it more like it used to be but may not be perfect. Select a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon for the best results.