How much hair can be restored with the ARTAS hair transplant procedure?

How much hair can be restored with an ARTAS procedure?

The answer is based on several variables, including the size of your head, the density of hair on your scalp, and how much surface area is available to be harvested.  These obviously vary widely person-to-person, so a single number prediction is not relevant.  

Certainly, the ARTAS system can extract as many hair follicles as any hand held FUE device (eg: NeoGraft), but the important difference with the ARTAS system is that it is *not* handheld.  It's controlled by a surgeon, not performed by a technician.  Under the guidance and control of a surgeon, the robot performs a special two-stage extraction of each individual follicle is done with micron precision robotically, instead of by a human hand, with all the inherent variability associated with human motion and hand control.

What all this means is that the ARTAS robot is more accurate than the human hand could possibly be, and results in higher quality grafts.  Higher quality grafts means more of the follicles grow, which means maximum density and thickness of hair restoration or hair transplant results.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

The same amount of hair can be restored with the artas vs any other FUE procedure in general.  However the Artas has some limitations.  First not every patient is a candidate.  Second, it has a difficult time extracting from the sides of the scalp or areas where the hair grows very superficial.  Third, the punch size used is very big in my opinion (about 1.3mm).  I prefer to do the surgery by hand.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

An ARTAS hair transplant procedure can restore as much hair as a manual FUE procedure.

We can extract the same number of hair follicles using the ARTAS robot as we can using a manual FUE procedure.

That said, the goal of any hair transplant procedure is not to transplant as many hair follicles as possible but do to it with as little wastage (damage to follicles) as possible and to achieve the best possible cosmetic result given your degree of hair loss and the number of hair follicles available in your donor area.

While there is no difference between robotic and manual FUE in terms of the number of follicles that each procedure can extract, robotic FUE does have the following advantages over manual FUE:

• During the follicular unit extraction (or harvesting) phase of a hair transplant, there is less chance of damaging follicular units using a robot vs. a hand held device (e.g., Neograft), because the robot is more accurate. This means more grafts survive after transplant.

• Robotic graft harvesting times are shorter than manual, e.g., while on average if a physician could manually extract 300 grafts per hour, the same physician could robotically extract over twice that. This means a shorter procedure time for the patient and a shorter time his grafts are outside the body where they risk injury and lack of oxygen.

Robert M. Bernstein, MD

ARTAS and hair restoration

The same amount of hair can be restored with ARTAS robotic FUE as with any type of FUE procedure. ARTAS is just another tool to remove donor hair. Good quality robotic FUE can give nice results and good quality manual FUE can give nice results. These are just tools.

ARTAS limits

Artas has similar limits to other devices but is better then most manual devices.   The biggest thing for a female to consider is the hair cut can be dramatic.  If you do not care about the hair cut you can do over 3k grafts with the right team and right scalp

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

How much can be harvested with ARTAS?

6 months ago,Thank you for the question. The ARTAS is a sophisticated robotic machine that makes the harvesting very efficient.  Efficiency decreases procedure time, maximizing the growth of the transplant while minimizing the strain on the patient. The total number harvested by ARTAS robotic FUE, should be close to the numbers obtained with other FUE devices in the appropriate patients.

Bernardino Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

How much hair can be restored by Artas

I have performed sessions with Artas where over 4000 FUE hair grafts have been transplanted. These megasessions are much longer and a bit more stressful on the patient.  That is why average sessions I recommend are around 2000 grafts.  

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

It depends on the defect/donor ratio

The amount of grafts/coverage will vary between patients. I have done ARTAS cases as big as 3800 FUE grafts in one session ( we do them now over 2 days for patient benefit) so most patients can have nice restoration in just one procedure

As much as your donor hair allows

It is not about how much hair can be "restored" with the ARTAS procedure.
ARTAS procedure is just a method of harvesting the grafts.
The ARTAS itself does not "restore" hairs.

How much hair can be restored is dependent on your donor hair density and how much donor hair you have available.

ARTAS is a tool for harvesting hair using the FUE method.  Thus, in general, you can harvest as much hair using ARTAS as you can with any method of FUE harvesting.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Are there limits to the number of hairs/grafts that the ARTAS can do?

The number of grafts that can be done with any FUE procedure varies in each patient by the actual size of the donor area (smaller donor area produce less grafts), the hair density (less dense hair means less grafts), the existence of scars (from previous FUE and strip procedures) and the type of hair that you have (African American hairs often challenge the ARTAS and may not be successful). Generally, 2000 grafts per session is not unusual. The number of sessions also vary as the FUE technique scars the donor area below the skin limiting the ARTAS in future FUE procedures. The average patient might supply 5000 grafts for FUE under 2-3 sessions.  More than that may damage the vascular supply to the donor area, but this is variable between patients and your skilled surgeon can tell you more about this if you ask him/her. I have strong opinions that may limit the number of FUEs per patients on a safety basis and as the inventor of the FUE and the first to published this technique and the doctor who introduced this technique to the world of hair transplant doctors, my opinions on this are generally respected by my peers.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon