How much does ARTAS hair transplant cost?

How much does the ARTAS hair transplant cost?

The cost for an ARTAS procedure will vary according to the practice that offers it. It is simply a tool to perform a type of hair restoration called Follicular Unit Extraction. It has a steep learning curve for the surgeon who operates it, so more established practices which are dedicated to hair restoration surgery will typically charge more than a clinic that does many types of cosmetic surgery and acquires an ARTAS machine, as typically the surgeon will be busy doing some other cosmetic surgery on a different patient in a different room while a technician runs the robot.

The bottom line is that the experience and dedication of the surgeon and his staff to the practice and art of hair restoration will be the prime determinant in how you feel about the final results. Hair restoration is no different than any other permanent facial plastic surgical procedure, such as rhinoplasty or a facelift. Like a rhinoplasty, the procedure is difficult to perform when done well, and the results are permanent. The results are directly dependent on the skill, training, and experience of the surgeon, and the quality, experience, and talent of the technicians who will work with the hair follicles.

Even though it's a robotic system the results from your procedure will NOT a “plug-and-play” product that is the same anywhere you go as long as the “graft number” remains constant. This makes as much sense as saying every single automobile in the world is exactly the same provided they all have “4 tires.” In hair restoration, there are hundreds of subtleties and nuances that vary from person to person. It is a procedure that brings our patients a great deal of happiness; it restores their confidence, sense of youth and well-being.

The cost will of the procedure will also very with how much hair needs to be transplanted, whether or not PRP and/or ACell is used in conjunction with the procedure, whether microneedling of the scalp will be a part of your procedure, whether Hypothermasol with liposomal ATP is used (e.g.: to keep your grafts viable while outside your body) or not, whether a full-time, dedicated team of technicians is used to assist the surgeon or if hired-guns are (e.g.: independent contractors...for instance, google "hair restoration techs" and see how many companies are offering to fly in hair restoration technicians for doctors who want to "add" hair restoration to their growing list of services offered), and a variety of other factors. It usually falls somewhere between $5K and $15K.

Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Treating Patients not Grafts

Pricing for the ARTAS procedure will vary depending where you consult, and the vast majority of locations will charge by graft.  I don't.

I see a big flaw in the price per graft approach, for the following reasons:

1. I don't know exactly how many grafts you need beforehand:  It is impossible to know exactly how many grafts a patient will need before you start a procedure. There are so many factors at play that a ballpark graft estimate is really the best anyone can do in advance.  The right number of is never an even number ending in a series of 0's.  With a predetermined graft count, there is a risk of under-harvesting, thus not achieving good results, and on the other hand a risk of over-harvesting and taking extra grafts that weren't necessary for the procedure risking notable thinning to the donor area, or limiting a future procedure if need be.
  2. Consumer confusion:  Graft handling and counting methods varies significantly between practices.  There is no right or wrong in these methods, however it often becomes impossible to compare price per graft among places since there's not a standard legal definition or consensus of a graft to begin with.  Apples and Oranges.
  3. Hair restoration is about results, not grafts:  Treatments should be individualized and total grafts needed to fill an area will vary person to person based on a number of factors including hair color, hair thickness, hair density, hair texture (straight vs curly), and avg size of natural groupings of hairs to name a few.  For this reason, if I find a person needs less grafts that I had originally anticipated, I will not take more to satisfy a number - I rather leave those precious donor hairs behind for the future if needed.  On the other hand, often I find I need to take a few hundred extra grafts than I had expected to achieve good results, and I will do so at no extra cost to my patients.
  4. Graft quality varies by technique:  I use the ARTAS system because I can achieve the very best grafts with its true blunt punch design which is not possible even with so called "blunt" manual punches. I have harvested up to 7 haired follicular units with a blunt 19g (1mm) punch that would be a hard challenge to extract with a manual system like Neograft.  I find in my experience I get more hairs/graft with ARTAS then I do manually.  I reserve my manual FUE system for "alternate harvesting areas" such as from neck/beard, chest etc, or in cases where the ARTAS cannot be used for some contraindication.  What this means is if I can get more hairs per graft by using better methods, you will need less grafts which is not a bad thing!  Again, my goal is not grafts, it's results.
  5. Site making determines grafts:  Stepping away from charging per graft allowed me to rethink how I do my ARTAS procedures.  I no longer harvest a set number first and then figure out where to place them.  I always start my procedures by making my recipient sites before I begin harvesting.  After site making I know exactly how many single haired grafts I need to fill a hairline, or eyebrows, or beard, and how many multiple haired grafts I can pack in for density.  Knowing these numbers allows me to harvest efficiently - and with the ARTAS system I can easily set my perimeters to select for the best grafts to meet my needs that I really couldn't know if I hadn't made my sites first to tell me how many of each type I needed.
  6. Less risk to grafts: By making my sites first, as I harvest with the ARTAS system, as soon as the grafts come out they are being placed into the prepared sites.  This means less out of body time.  I often have most of the grafts placed before harvesting is complete.  Less out of body time for grafts equals less risk to grafts.
  7. Adjunctive measures help: Charging by graft often means you also have to charge for everything else including other therapies that can, and in my mind should, be incorporated into the hair restoration procedure such as PRP (for its growth factors) and ACell (for its healing and tissue regeneration abilities), as well as some promising new therapies in the pipeline such as stem cells.  When I used to charge by graft these extra a la carte options were often passed on, which made me reconsider this approach.  If these additional therapies help, why should I even consider them as an extra costly option.  It is my goal to offer the very best procedures available, which is why I use ARTAS, and also why I incorporate the best adjuctive therapies into all of my procedures at no surcharge.  PRP helps the new graft hairs grow quicker, and thickens up the existing hairs and helps prevent shock loss.  I mix the grafts with ACell to help them heal into their new sites as well as apply the ACell to the donor area which make it almost impossible to see any evidence of my ARTAS procedure after a matter of days. I encourage you to see some of my 6 month results on the ARTAS website HERE for which I can attribute the rapid results to the addition of these extra measures.  As new therapies become available, I will continue to rethink my protocol with the mindset of achieving the very best results.

To make a short story long, this is why I do not believe in charging by graft.  I let my results and reputation speak for themselves.  I prefer to have the pricing fixed to fill areas or zones which gives me the flexibility to pack in as many grafts as I can without limiting myself to a number, and also to avoid over harvesting.  This also allows me to include all the best additional therapies out there along with my ARTAS procedure to achieve the best results.  Since you asked ;)

Justin Rome, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cost of ARTAS Hair transplant in Taiwan

Cost of ARTAS hairtransplant is normally depends on the number of follicular units needed.  The cost in Taiwan range from USD  $6-$9  per follicle.  
Average max harvest per session normally will be around 2000-3000 folliclcular units.

Alan Liu, MD
Taiwan Hair Restoration Surgeon

It depends on the number of grafts

The cost of the ARTAS procedure depends on the number of grafts - it gets cheaper (per graft) with the larger amounts of grafts.  I think the price also varies between providers - there are bargain prices from the docs that just bought the robot and the prices are higher from the doctors that actually have experience with the procedure and have before/after photos to prove it - not stock photos of the ARTAS company. Experience is everything and photos before/after are the only proof of abilities

It varys

ARTAS surgery range from $6 to $12 in the Los Angeles area.  
Remember ARTAS surgery is just a method is harvesting the grafts.  It has nothing to do with transplantation and hair line design which is the most important part (the results that you see).

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

What is the cost of the ARTAS and the FUE?

I can only speak for our group. We charge $8/50/graft for the ARTAS and $8/graft for the manual FUE which is a faster procedure and produces equivalent results in our hands. We offer both aRTAAS and Manual FUE for our patients.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS Hair Transplant Cost

ARTAS is a FUE transplant using a robotic arms. The price of a hair transplant using ARTAS is different in every practice.  In our practice, we price ARTAS cases the same as other FUE methods at this time.  Like FUE transplant ARTAS transplant cost is calculated per number of grafts.  In many cases we use a combination of ARTAS and Manual techniques of FUE to improve the quality of our grafts.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Depends but ARTAS

The ARTAS robotic procedure is expensive because the cost of the robot is factored into the cost of the procedure. The advantage of the robot is its ability to efficiently and accurately perform a FUE procedure. It is truly the "gold standard" FUE procedure. If linear scarring is less of a concern for you, then a strip FUT hair restoration procedure may be a cheaper alternative.

I charge by the area (small, medium, and large) which can range from $4000 - $15000. I prefer this pricing strategy because my goal of the procedure is to provide appropriate coverage of the area rather than chasing a “number”. Depending on the quality of the grafts, the quoted number of grafts may be too many or too little. As a hair transplant surgeon, I make the goal of my procedures to be the best outcome for my patient rather than an arbitrary number of grafts.

Terrence Keaney, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

How much does the ARTAS Robotic hair transplant surgery cost?

This indeed varies between practices just like everything else. We charge the same price for ARTAS as per standard FUE which is £6/graft for 1st 1000 and £3/graft thereafter. E.g 2000 grafts is £9000 

very important to remember the Robot is a very sophisticated tool but the result is mostly dependent on the doctors artistry and experience both in terms of hair restoration in general as well as the ARTAS

make sure to research the doctor through the Internet as well as past successes

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cost for hair transplant

The cost for hair transplant varies for. Doctor to doctor. It depends on many factors including the experience of the doctor, the location and the number of grafts.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon