Rhinoplasty and tonsillectomy tomorrow, any recommendations for post op care?

Tomorrow is my tonsillectomy, rhinoplasty, deviated septum correction surgery. I'm going to spend the bulk of today running errands to prepare but I'm wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for things for post op care? Anything from certain pillows to ice packs to vitamins would be great. Thank you so much!

Rhinoplasty and tonsillectomy means lots of ice tea.

Dear sock13 in Santa Monica:

Sorry this may be a little late but maybe not. The best single thing for someone getting rhinoplasty and tonsillectomy is probably very strong, very cold iced tea. After rhinoplasty there is often some soreness of the throat because of the anesthetic tube and maneuvers used to keep you safely asleep, and you probably will have a little bit of discomfort from your tonsillectomy. The ice tea has been used very successfully by ear, nose, and throat/head and neck surgeons for post tonsillectomy patients forever. Be sure to use decaffeinated tea and make sure it is “black tea,” not herbal. No additives other than sugar. Very cold and very, very strong. It really should look “black.” This should help. As far as vitamins and other supplements, check with your doctor. All other issues of postoperative care should be pretty routine per the doctor’s written instructions.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Over 4,500 nasal procedures performed

Surgeon Needs to Give Post Operative Orders

Hi Sock,

You should have all of this information from your operating surgeon.  Good luck and be well, wishing you a rapid recovery.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Please consult with your board certified facial plastic surgeon before and after your tonsillectomy, Rhinoplasty, and deviated septum correction. In addition to the advice your surgeon provides, I recommend that you avoid activities that raise your blood pressure because it is very important that you minimize your swelling. Utilize ice compresses folded into an inverted 'V' configuration to fit into your nose and change every ten minutes for maximum results. A drip pad is also commonly applied after surgery to collect any drainage from the nose.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty/septoplasty/tonsillectomy

First of all, it's important to check in with your operative surgeon, since they will be the one performing her surgery. It's important to stock up on food and juices since she may not be leaving the house for a few days. In our practice we do not recommend ice packs or vitamins to be taken in the postoperative period. Our own postoperative instructions are located on the website link below.

Advices for post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty and tonsillectomy recovery

It's great to prepare for surgery and its recovery; your surgeon will likely have very helpful and extensive information for what to expect, do, and avoid before and after surgery.  If you have not received this, you should contact your surgeon's office.  In my practice, I generally recommend cold compresses (frozen peas or a clean washcloth wrung out in ice water), elevation of several pillows, saltwater/ saline nose spray, Afrin nasal spray, Aquaphor, and gauze as some helpful things to have on hand after nasal surgery.  A tonsillectomy recovery usually does well with lots of cold beverages, popsicles, and soft foods.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-op Care after Rhinoplasty and Tonsillectomy

Post-op care after rhinoplasty ad tonsillectomy. It is inappropriate for us to make recommendations for your post-op care. Follow the instructions of your surgeon; you don't need multiple surgeons taking care of you at the same time.