Pain on stitches after rhinoplasty

I got my surgery on Mon morning and it is now Wed night. Overall has been really rough, completely swollen eyes up until the last hour. I am experience a lot of clear stuff (snot I am assuming) coming out of my nose and occasionally blood. The worst part right now is the stitches along the bottom of my nose are stinging very badly. Nothing appears to be wrong but it's hard to see covered with tape and blood. I have been placing Vaseline over the stitches and am worried I have irritated them.

Stitch pain after a rhinoplasty

Most of what you are experiencing is considered the normal postoperative course from a rhinoplasty. Swelling is expected and will gradually resolve during the week. As the incisions heal, they will be tender. Make sure that you are not putting too much vaseline over this area because it can irritate the skin. I usually recommend placing a small amount in the area twice daily. Make sure you check with your surgeon if you have additional questions.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Painful nasal stitches

The stitches on the nose can hurt at times but they would respond to the use of ice packs.  You have to make sure the area is not red and tender as that would indicate possible infection and would need attention by your surgeon.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Some of the most effective recovery techniques include applying ice packs by folding the packs into an inverted 'V' configuration and fitting them right into the area of discomfort. A drip pad is commonly applied as well to collect the drainage from your nose. Please make sure that you are sleeping upright to allow the proper drainage. Also, please consult with your board certified facial plastic surgeon to review any recovery guidelines that they recommend and that you do not understand or are unsure if you are applying correctly.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

2 days post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD