Dark/hollow under eyes 18 weeks post rhinoplasty. (photos)

I had closed rhinoplasty surgery around 5 months ago and I still have visible dark circles under both eyes which weren't there pre op. Could this be permanent? Is there anything I can do to get rid of them? I had a bad reaction to Arnica so had to stop using it. The bruising was quite bad after surgery but got progressively better up until around 2 months ago, since then I have seen no further improvement so am worried that this is permanent now.

Lower eyelid darkness after rhinoplasty

Although you may think that the rhinoplasty bruisng caused your dark eyes, believe that the rhinoplasty results in improvement of your nasal shape which then brings more attention to your eyes; if you look at your pre photos I bet you will see some component of darkness; there may be some effect of having a smaller nose complex which results in more skin redundancy which gets allocated to the medial lower eyelids that is another cause of darkness; Either way, the cure is to remove the unwanted redundancy of the lower eyelid skin with a lower blepharoplasty.

Not permanent, but improvement will be slow...

Dear jjohnston25,

Unfortunately, when there is a lot of bruising, the hemoglobin (iron) from the red blood cells doesn't get fully resorbed and can hide in normal cells. The goal should be to promote cell turnover in the area. I agree with Dr. Nima that PRP can be helpful. Additionally, IPL laser and a medium depth chemical peel can also be helpful. 

Good Luck!

Dr. Hershcovitch

Meir Hershcovitch, MD
Calabasas Otolaryngologist

Dark under eye circles after rhinoplasty

Dear jjohnston25,

• This is a difficult problem to correct because the iron from your blood cells has likely leaked out and stained the skin
  • It does take time for your body to resorb it all
  • You can try a vitamin K cream that might help
  • An experimental, but very safe, option is to try PRP (or platelet rich plasma) injections, similar to a vampire facelift, that might clear it up faster

Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD