Still bleeding 6 days post op rhinoplasty?

I had a closed rhinoplasty 6 days ago and blood is still trickling out of my right nostril. There is a stent in my right nostril. The bleeding is not excessive but it is definitely fresh blood (not oozing or dry blood). Should I be concerned?

Postoperative nasal bleeding

Small oozing of blood is okay for up to the first 10 days but a trickle is not acceptable.  You need to contact your surgeon to be evaluated for a source of bleeding.

Regards

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op bleeding

Bleeding typically subsides within a few days following nasal surgery, although every person is different.  I suggest you contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns.  

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Nasal bleeding

If you are concerned about bleeding, then I suggest you speak to your surgeon. He will be the best to advise you.

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

Bleeding or oozing at one week may occur after having nose surgery- bleeding that is continuous, and ends up soaking several tissues and is dripping may need to be addressed by your surgeon.. best of luck

Light nasal bleeding may be seen in some patients the first week following rhinoplasty surgery.

This is typically from drainage of pooled blood in the sinuses. Nasal dressings may be removed 6-8 days following rhinoplasty surgery, so please visit your surgeon for evaluation of your concern. Hope this helps you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Prolonged Bleeding

Usually bleeding stops within 24-48 hours.  It take longer for some patients,and sometimes postoperative afrin nasal spray can help dry this up.  However at this point I would be concerned for a CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) leak.  This can occur when the nose is broken and needs special attention.  If the blood when placed on a napkin or gauze develops a clear halo like ring around the blood drop it is likely a CSF leak.  Discuss your concern with your surgeon. 

1 week post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Inform your surgeon of the bleeding.  Avoid any bending over and excessive activities.  Now is the time to take care of yourself.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD