Does ulthera melt fat?

i read online that ulthera might cause melting of fat. this is my biggest concern as im planning to get it done. your response will highly appreciated

Ulthera does not melt Fat

Ultherapy does not melt fat. Ultherapy can target three different depths: the Dermis (deeper skin), Connective tissue (Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System-SMAS) and Muscle. The Superficial Musculoaponeurotic System (SMAS) is located below the fat and is a strong tissue that envelops the face. It is made up of collagen, elastic fibers and muscle fibers. The ultrasound energy produced during an Ulthera treatment, precisely and consistently heats the targeted tissue to 60-70 degrees centigrade, which is the optimal temperature for contraction and denaturation of collagen. 

The first stage is the contraction and denaturing of collagen, which causes an immediate tissue tightening, and resultant lift. The second stage occurs over time while the body’s healing response builds new collagen (neocollagenesis).  New collagen production is generated over 2-3 months and often continues for 6 months after the treatment. Full results are visible after 3 to 6 months.

If you have volume loss in addition to skin laxity, you will probably need fillers as well for facial volumization.

In my practice we have had amazing results with Ultherapy.  I recommend you receive your treatment from an Ultherapy expert. Good Luck!

Given your concern I strongly recommend that you consider other alternatives to achieve your cosmetic goal. My experience has been that individuals who have already started to worry about an extremely rare or even medically unrecognized event will have a difficult time with the treatment and its outcome.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Winchester Facial Plastic Surgeon

No Fat or Volume Loss with Ulthera

Hi and thank you for your question!

We have performed hundreds of Ultherapy treatments in our practice and have not had one instance of fat or volume loss, depressions etc. If done by an experience professional with advanced training, I don't believe this to be possible. Feel free to come for a complementary consultation at our practice. Our NP & PA's are Ultherapy experts and can assure the best result for you.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Ulthera does not cause fat reduction

Ultherapy is a non-invasive procedure to tighten and lift the skin. This procedure targets the dermis and muscle, not the subcutaneous tissue. Therefore, it does not cause fat reduction. We have performed thousands of Ultherapy treatments in our office, and we have never had patients complain of facial volume loss after treatment.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy and fat loss

Our patients haven't reported fat loss from Ultherapy.  The ultrasound technology used in Ultherapy is tailored to each patient's specific issues and needs.  We have found that it is a very effective way of tightening and lifting the skin of the face and neck.  Thanks for your question.  

Andrew T. Lyos, MD, FACS

Does Ultherapy reduce fat?

Ultherapy is a tightening procedure, not fat reduction procedure. However, few patients notice improvement in fatty fullness (mainly in under the chin area) after Ultherapy treatment. If fat is the main concern, there are other modalities (liposuction, Kybella, etc) that address this problem more effectively.

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Ultherapy fat loss

In our practice, we have not seen fat loss from Ultherapy.  In very thin faced patients, we are careful not to treat aggressively in the areas under the eye/cheek junction.  Some patients may have filler in their cheek area that is being affected by Ultherapy and after treatment they notice they are more hollow. These patients may be seeing filler loss but attributing it to Ultherapy fat loss.

Ultherapy and fat loss

No, it does not. HIFU or high intensity focus ultrasound does not melt fat. The cases that are 'reported' maybe due to fat loss with ageing, and with skin tightening, one may perceive fat loss.

Ulthera or Ultherapy is designed to tighten skin, but remember, its the balance between texture, tone (ultherapy) and volume (fat, fillers) that will give the best results. 

Dr Davin Lim
Brisbane Australia. 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Ultherapy -- Safety and Side Effects; IT DOESN'T MELT FAT

Ultherapy is focused ultrasound that is used at different depths to help wrinkles and skin tightening and does not "melt fat". I have never seen a bad outcome from ultherapy in my hands. I suggest consulting with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Does Ulthera melt fat?

I have not seen any of my patients that I have treated with Ultherapy have any visible indication of fat loss.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon