Left lower lip is not working properly and numbness on the left lower cheek after Ultherapy. (photos)

I got ultherapy 2 days ago and noticed that my lower left lip is not moving or working properly. My smile line changes and I'm having a hard time drinking water from the glass and with the straw (I can't use the straw at all) also eating. My lower left cheek is also numb. This is never damage isn't it? Is it temporarily and can self-healed?

Ultherapy side effect

You have irritation to your marginal mandibular nerve.  This is not a common or typical side effect but can happen if your Ultherapy technician does not know anatomy.  It is important to always go to a board certified physician whose practice specializes in Ultherapy.  The irritation will resolve with time.  I recommend you take a Vitamin B-complex and exercise the impaired side. 

Good Luck!

Your Marginal mandibular nerve is injured

Ultherapy should not be performed around the central jawline because the heating effect can injure the nerve to the lip depressor muscles. This can cause weakness of the lip depressors and an uneven smile, or you won't form an "O" when opening your mouth widely.
What to do?  Nothing- give it time.  As annoying as this is, it is probably temporary and lip muscle function should return to normal over 3-6 months.  Yours is a great example of why you should carefully choose who does your Ultherapy. Seek a well trained and experienced technician- I sent mine for advanced training in Ulthera's Phoenix headquarters- and my patients benefit tremendously with her expert treatment results.
Best of luck! 

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy -- Safety and Side Effects

I have never seen a bad outcome from ultherapy in my hands. I suggest consulting with your physician for evaluation and treatment. Best, Dr. Emer

Numbness on cheek and left lower lip not working properly after Ultherapy

The numbness of your left lower cheek and the issue with your left lower lip not working properly after Ultherapy are due to irritation of nerves from the heat of the Ultherapy treatment.  This is not a normal occurrence but it is possible.  This is not a permanent problem and should resolve completely over time.  It could take just a few days or possibly a few weeks to get back to normal.  Please follow up with the physician who treated you if things are not improving.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon