Microneedling vs Dermabrasion?

I've heard that a series of micro needling can be more effective than dermabrasion. Is this true? I'm looking to improve the texture of my skin after horrible cystic acne.

Microneedling, Dermabrasion, Microdermabrasion

Microneedling is a relatively “easy” procedure. You are numbed so it is very comfortable and have only 48 hours of downtime. Dermabrasion is a more serious procedure. Typically, patients are sedated and the procedure leaves the skin very raw with significant down time and risk for infection. You may be thinking of Microdermabrasion. Microdermabrasion is a professional exfoliating treatment that resurfaces the skin leaving the skin softer and smoother. It’s quick with no downtime and often performed in combination with extractions at our practice.  Microneedling does tend to help the texture of skin more than microdermabrasion. 

Microneedling, Dermabrasion acne scars

Microneedling helps to build collagen to thicken atrophic acne scars. Dermabrasion helps to reduce hypertrophic thick acne scars.
Often both techniques may be beneficial.  Please consult in person with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS

Microneedling vs Dermabrasion

Microneedling and dermabrasion are completely different treatments. 

Microneedling also known as collagen induction therapy (CIT), and percutaneous collagen induction (PCI), is a minimally invasive skin-rejuvenation procedure that involves the use of a device that contains fine needles. The needles are used to puncture the skin to create a controlled skin injury. 

Dermabrasion is a technique that uses a wire brush or a diamond wheel with rough edges (called a burr or fraise) to remove the upper layers of the skin. The brush or burr rotates rapidly, taking off and leveling (abrading or planing) the top layers of the skin.

I would recommend going in for a consultation with your provider so they can guide you in the right directions so you will achieve the best results.

Microneedling versus Dermabrasion

Microneedling is completely different than dermabrasion. I suggest a formal consultation with an expert to determine what is best.  Dr. Emer.