Micro needling for acne scars?

I've been looking for a cheaper treatment for my acne scars and my dermatologist said micro needling is a good inexpensive treatment for acne scars I have indented scars and rough skin texture he uses the eclipse micropen is that a good product and how many treatments would I need to see good results?

Microneedling for Acne Scars

Your dermatologist is correct – the use of microneedling pens can, in fact, improve acne scars. Depending on the severity of the scars, several treatments are going to be needed in order to see an improvement. Without seeing a picture, it is not possible to say how many treatments will be needed, but it is not unusual to need 4-6 treatments in order to see an appreciable difference. Fractional lasers can work faster in most cases, but the cost is usually more than the series of pens put together. And there is a new treatment – the use of radiofrequency (RF) tipped microneedles. We use the EndyMed Intensif and have had very impressive results with minimal downtime in improving some of the more severe acne scars – in usually 1-3 treatments. But your dermatologist is on the right track.

Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Micro Needling

Micro-needling is a skin resurfacing procedure which
utilizes tiny needles to create microscopic injuries in the skin, allowing for
new collagen formation as well as creating channels for topical solutions to
penetrate deeper into the skin and work more effectively. Micro-needling
smoothes and refines your complexion without needing to spend a lot of time
recovering. It has been proven safe and effective and generally takes just a
half hour or less, depending on the areas treated.  This procedure can be used on other areas of
the body besides the face as well.

John Frattellone, DMD
Red Bank Dentist

Microneedling for acne scars works but not as much as people are hyping it

I have microneedling in my office. It is an aesthetician service. Laser and RF microneedling (Infini) will give much more dramatic results. Another option that will be soon FDA approved for this purpose is Artefill or now called Bellafill. Just don't expect huge changes with Microneedling. Prp placed on top might be helpful with any laser or microneedling procedure. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Microneedling

Is a great alternative to lasers and fillers/surgery but takes many treatments and if your scars are very atrophic, boxcar or pitted, it may only help slightly. I typically do microneedling in combination with laser treatments and fillers.  I suggest seeking the advice of someone who specializes in scars and does the treatments often.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Microneedling for acne scars

In my opinion acne scar treatment needs to be based upon the type of scars.
Superficial scars will usually respond to microneedling.
If you have depressed scars they need to be lifted. Usually subscision or a filler is utilized.
Some people get better results by adding PRP to microneedling.
Good luck!

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Yes, micro needling/ Dermapen/ Skin Rolling can help. This is a simple form of fractional resurfacing, without the heat associated with laser. In fact micro needling was the fore bearer of fractional laser. Does it work? Yes, it can help improve box cars, and atrophic as well as rolling scars. Is it as good as laser? No, but it is cheaper and in our practice needling is performed by our nurses as an 'entry level' to acne scar revision. 

Like fractional laser, you will need 3-5 treatments for best results. I suggest monthly treatments for 5 months. Unlike laser, needling does not denature collagen by heat, and hence the results are not as good, however if cost is an issue, this treatment is better than creams and LED treatments. 

regards

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and cosmetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist