Do I have a polly beak deformity or just swollen/scarred tip? (photo)

I had a rhinoplasty over 2 years ago. Do I have a polly beak deformity or is my tip just too full. I have very thick skin and if I have a polly beak deformity I definitely feel it is a soft tissue and scar tissue problem. Would steroids be an option to reduce the tip? Or fillers to bring my bridge up more so the tip doesn't look as large? I feel the lower bridge might just be giving the illusion of a larger tips so maybe I should fill it in. I want to avoid surgery. Any helpful suggestions?

Do I have a Polly Beak?

Dear 22222, A photo would be needed for any expert opinion. I would suggest that you see your surgeon for a follow up appointment and after an examination a proper diagnosis can be made and a treatment plan set. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Revision Rhinoplasty: Pollybeak

Hi,

There are several types of pollybeak: cartilaginous, soft tissue, and scarring from previous rhinoplasty. If its pollybeak soft tissue it will should respond to steroid injection. In cases such as cartilanegous pollybeak where the area would feel hard- you would need a revision rhinoplasty.  This can only be confirmed by examining the nose. You may want to ask your surgeon or get a second opinion. Please see the web reference below.

Dr. S

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Pollybeak

Without a good photo, it will be difficult to assess your situation.   You will need a thorough examination for an accurate diagnosis.  Only then will you be able to get the correct treatment, whether it be steroids or otherwise.  Good luck~

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak deformity or not

Please provide a few more photographs so we can assess you tip better; you may have slightly more soft tissue filling of the supratip region but more views are needed.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Pollybeak?

I need to see better photographs. It appears you have a slight polybeak , large tip and low bridge. You could try fillers first but you will probably need a revision rhinoplasty done by very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon. 

Do I have a poly beak deformity?

The nose is a three-dimensional structure, therefore a full set of photographs and an in-person examination required to make a determination about a very difficult procedure known as a revision rhinoplasty. It's important to look at the tip of three-dimensional fashion, not from a one-dimensional photograph. It's also important to know how much cartridge is left on the inside of the nose for potential grafting purposes to build up the bridge. For more information and many examples of  revision rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Revision rhinoplasty: polly beak

The polly beak deformity is when the area above the tip of your nose (supratip) sticks out, which makes the tip of the nose appear to be hooking downward. Some people are born with it. It can happen after rhinoplasty. 

The nose is a 3D structure. Polly beak occurs based on the position of the tip relative to the rest of the nose. A high caudal dorsum, supratip fullness, deprojected tip, drooping tip can all contribute to a polly beak. The forehead and chin need to be considered as well. I recommend talking to your original surgeon as well as consider talking to someone who understands revision rhinoplasty. After examining your nose and photoanalysis of your nose, you can be properly diagnosed. With an accurate diagnosis, your surgeon can lay out treatment plans appropriate for your face. This may include steroid injection or surgery. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon