Can I remove Gore-Tex nasal implant and just have tip work done? My previous nose bridge was not broken or shaved (Photo)

Had rhinoplasty over a decade ago. GoreTex implant was placed on bridge & my nostrils were reduced slightly. Would like to revert back to original bridge (was already high to begin with). I had no tip work done. Want implant removal (not replaced if p) & tip refinement to acheieve a more feminine/balanced nose. Is this possible/realistic. Will the bridge look/stay puffy/wide w/removal or revert back to old nose? Last pic is what I want. She has the bridge height I had before. Is this achievable?

Revision rhinoplasty

Hi there, it is possible to remove the GoreTex implant and work on the nasal tip.  Please be aware you may well need more than just refinement of your tip area to help achieve the look you desire.  Some amount of increased tip projection may need to be built up in order to achieve the proper relationship to the bridge of your nose, even after removal of the implant.  Best of luck to you.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

GoreTex (ePTFE) nasal implants may be removed during revision rhinoplasty surgery.

Removal of GoreTex is more challenging than removing silicone since GoreTex causes tissue ingrowth. Silicone implants tend to slip out. It is not feasible to determine whether this would be right for you based on the information provided. Consider consulting with several revision rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what might be best for you moving forward. Thank you. Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Remove Gore-Tex implant along with revision rhinoplasty

Revision rhinoplasty is much more difficult than a primary rhinoplasty especially when a synthetic implant has been been previously placed inside the nose.  The implant will need to be removed, and a full revision rhinoplasty will be required to make sure all of the components of the nose are balanced with themselves, and the new nose balances with the patient's facial features.  Digital computer imaging of your nose on your facial features would be helpful to understand what we are trying to accomplish with your current anatomy minus the synthetic implant

Revision rhinoplasty and removal of synthetic implants

Revision rhinoplasty is a surgery performed to improve the shape of the nose after a previous nose surgery.

Synthetic implants like silicone and Goretex have been used to augment or build up the bridge of the nose. Removing them can be complicated. The defect left behind may be larger than anticipated. The soft tissue and skin around it may also be damaged. Infection or trauma increases the complexity too. There may also be a need to refill the space with a cartilage graft. This may come from your nose, ear, or rib. With so many things to consider, I would recommend talking to rhinoplasty surgeon who is familiar with implant removal and revision. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon