How long after rhinoplasty until I can surf?

It has been 4 weeks since my rhinoplasty and i have zero pain when applying pressure to any part of my nose, is it ok for me to resume surfing? thanks

Avoiding contact sports after rhinoplasty

I typically recommend that all contact sports should be avoided for 6 to 8 weeks after surgery. Even though you might be feeling back to your “normal self", getting hit in the nose early in your recovery can still cause some alterations to the nose.

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post op rhinoplasty

ask your surgeon when it is best for you to return to surfing. Depending on the complexity of the surgery it may take more time for complete healing to occur. Your surgeon will be able to answer that question.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Surfing after rhinoplasty

Unfortunately, when you surf, there may be risk of trauma to your face and nose.  As such, I usually tell my patients no contact sport for about 3 months.  Trauma to your nose during the healing period can alter the final outcome.  I recommend that you ask your surgeon about this.

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

4 weeks after rhinoplasty - can you surf?

Hello,If you were my patient, I would ask you to wait at least 6 weeks.  This is really a question better answered by your surgeon, because he/she knows what was performed and can give you better guidance.  All the hard work you and your surgeon put into crafting your nose can be undone if their is an unforeseen accident.  Be cautious and prudent and patient!  Best of luck!

Elbert T. Cheng, MD
San Jose Facial Plastic Surgeon

SURFING AFTER RHINOPLASTY

Dear shlamm, You need to discuss with your surgeon your restrictions when returning to a sport where trauma may be incurred. Each patients rhinoplasty is different some are more extensive then others so to be on the safe side and protect your investment speak with your surgeon and hopefully you will be back to the beach soon. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty and surfing

Rhinoplasty takes longer than other surgeries to heal. I recommend 6 weeks avoiding any strenuous activity. I would conservatively recommend 2-3 months depending on the complexity of the surgery. 
The issue with surfing is two-fold:1. Open water (both ocean and fresh) can have a lot of bacteria in it. An infection after rhinoplasty can be catastrophic, especially during the healing process.2. Accidental trauma from the surfboard, other surfers, and the ocean floor/rocks can do more damage on a healing (weaker) nose. 
Restrictions after surgery are not meant to keep you from living your life, but they are there to protect the time, money, and effort invested in your nose. I would recommend asking your surgeon, so she/he can guide you through the healing process and determine when the risk is acceptable for you. Safety comes first. 

Victor Chung, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surfing after Rhinoplasty

Recommend refraining from sports for 2 months. Specific restrictions should be discussed with your surgeon. . Best of luck!

Edward J. Gross, MD
Orlando Facial Plastic Surgeon

Post-rhinoplasty activity

The recovery time after rhinoplasty, and thus return to activities, can vary widley depending on exactly what was done.  For instance, osteotomies (or breaking the nasal bones), can take somewhat longer to heal and stablilize the nose.  Additionally there are other grafts that can be used that may take longer to stabilize.  I would check with your surgeon, but it may be a bit too soon.  For many patients, I will have them wait 2 months or longer before resuming any sport or activity that puts the nose at risk for trauma.  On the other hand, if only minor work was done, you may be able to get out sooner.

John Harbison, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon