Am I a good candidate for tear trough filler? (Photos)

I would like to know if I am a good candidate for tear trough filler and approx. how much I would need?

Am I a good candidate for tear trough filler?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photo. I do think you're a great candidate for placement of a hyaluronic acid filler in your tear trough (i.e., under eye) area. In this area I prefer Volbella or Restylane, but there are other fillers that work well in this location. This is one of my favorite procedures to perform, as patients instantly look more rested and younger. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht. 

Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Tear trough filling

After performing tear trough filling for several years I believe the safest and best way to place filler in this area is with a microcannula. This is a delicate area, the skin is very thin, there are multiple veins and lymphatic vessels in a shallow complex and larger vein, the angular vein, sits right at the end of the tear trough near the nose and needs to be avoided. Filling this area just adjacent to the nose is not advisable in most cases anyway. 

A microcannula is round on the end - not sharp, and thus decreases the risk of injuring veins and lymphatics. 

One drawback of filling this area is that hyaluronic acid fillers can tend to look puffy and are very persistent - so definitely small amounts should be used. 

As to whether you are a candidate you really have to see a physician with experience to get an opinion regarding that. I'd advise seeing a doctor well versed with using a cannula in this area. 

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

Tear trough filler

judging from your photos you are a good candidate. However most of the time, a pronounced tear trough is present because of volume loss in the cheeks as well so I usually fill this area at the same time as the trough. It is thus hard to tell you how much product you may need for optimal results. Good luck. 

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Candidate for Tear Trough Filling

Dear Jentry08:

Your photos suggest that you could be a good candidate for tear trough filling.  My personal favorite in Canada for tear trough filling is Teosyal Redensity II.  It is important to note that less is more particularly in this area of the face.  Please see an expert injector.  Best wishes.