Can estheticians administer injectables?

I've read several answers to questions regarding who can administer injections (i.e. restylane, botox, juvederm,) in the state of Texas. Some answers state it must be a licensed physician, and a couple answers stated that some estheticians administer them as well. Can anyone in Texas tell me what the regulations are, and where I may find specific reference to the law or regulation itself stating it is 'okay,' for aestheticians to administer injections? Thank you

Who can inject?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am not aware of any states that allow non-medical personnel to perform injections legally.  There are states that allow PA, nurses, etc.  I would check with licensing board for cosmetology.

Who can administer injectables in Texas

The Board of Cosmetology in your state determines the scope of practice for licensed aestheticians. You can call them and they will readily tell you. Having said that, I am not aware of any state in which an aesthetician is permitted to inject. Botox is a prescription drug and dermal fillers are medical devices. They are not sold to aestheticians (at least not legally). A medical degree is required-physicians, nurse injectors, perhaps physicians assistants in some states.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician