I'm a 19 year old male. Do I have puffy nipples/gynecomastia? (Photo)

I've had them since I was about 12 years old and they still have not gone away, so I'm starting to think that it's something that requires more attention. I'm not overweight and actually very skinny: 5'8'', 135 lb. I recently went to my primary care physician, but he said it is nothing to worry about. However, I am not completely satisfied with that answer, so I have scheduled a consultation with a plastic surgeon, but I wanted to get the opinions of other doctors as well.

Doctor Answers 5

Puffy nipples

All aesthetic surgery is based on weighing the risks versus the benefits of surgery and the options.  I agree that if you want to reduce the puffiness, surgery is the best option.  You will need to decide if the cost, recovery, and mild scarring are worth the improvement in the nipple area, and only you can make that decision.  That being said, the risks from surgery are low and the satisfaction rates with male breast reduction surgery are high.  The procedure I perform takes about an hour and involves excising the breast tissue beneath the nipple, then liposuction in the fatty tissue around it.  Recovery is about 10 days, with compression garments like Under Armor for 8 weeks.  Hope this helps

Wilmington Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Do I have puffy nipples/gynecomastia?

Hi Omair,
You have a very mild form of Gynaecomastia that is causing the puffy nipple & slight deformity of the  chest.
the best way to get rid of it is surgery.
best of luck


Thank you for your question. From the pictures you provided, it does look like you have a mild case of gynecomastia. I would recommend consulting a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to go over your options based on what is found during your consultation.

You have gynecomastia

You will need surgery to get rid of puffiness on your chest.  This condition is called gynecomastia.  Many young men develop this condition at time of puberty.  In most cases it settles and goes away on its own.  However if it persists as it did in your case surgery is required.

Vasdev Rai, MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 21 reviews

Gynecomastia San Antonio TX

You are absolutely right .From the pictures it looks like you do have gynecomastia.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.
m the photos it look like you do have gynecomastia.

Mordcai Blau, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.