I'm a 19 year old male. Do I have puffy nipples/gynecomastia? (Photo)

I've had them since I was about 12 years old and they still have not gone away, so I'm starting to think that it's something that requires more attention. I'm not overweight and actually very skinny: 5'8'', 135 lb. I recently went to my primary care physician, but he said it is nothing to worry about. However, I am not completely satisfied with that answer, so I have scheduled a consultation with a plastic surgeon, but I wanted to get the opinions of other doctors as well.

Concerned About Puffy Nipples at Age 19

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect men of all different body types. There are different types of #gynecomastia. "Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adult.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

Puffy nipples

All aesthetic surgery is based on weighing the risks versus the benefits of surgery and the options.  I agree that if you want to reduce the puffiness, surgery is the best option.  You will need to decide if the cost, recovery, and mild scarring are worth the improvement in the nipple area, and only you can make that decision.  That being said, the risks from surgery are low and the satisfaction rates with male breast reduction surgery are high.  The procedure I perform takes about an hour and involves excising the breast tissue beneath the nipple, then liposuction in the fatty tissue around it.  Recovery is about 10 days, with compression garments like Under Armor for 8 weeks.  Hope this helps

Edward J. Ricciardelli, MD
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Do I have puffy nipples/gynecomastia?

Hi Omair,
You have a very mild form of Gynaecomastia that is causing the puffy nipple & slight deformity of the  chest.
the best way to get rid of it is surgery.
best of luck

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question. From the pictures you provided, it does look like you have a mild case of gynecomastia. I would recommend consulting a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to go over your options based on what is found during your consultation.

You have gynecomastia

You will need surgery to get rid of puffiness on your chest.  This condition is called gynecomastia.  Many young men develop this condition at time of puberty.  In most cases it settles and goes away on its own.  However if it persists as it did in your case surgery is required.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Gynecomastia San Antonio TX

You are absolutely right .From the pictures it looks like you do have gynecomastia.

How should I choose a surgeon?
Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon
1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience.
2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient.
3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter.
4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery?
Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.
m the photos it look like you do have gynecomastia.

Mordcai Blau, MD